Chapter Twenty Eight: Thirty Days (IV)

Yuriko couldn't help but notice how cheerful Hinata was throughout the day. It was nearing the last few days of their time spent in the Ōtsutsuki Village, which went surprisingly well, and she figured that the engaged couple had enjoyed their time despite the cold.

She had seen how they behaved around each other, and the change was genuinely heartwarming to see. Hinata had gone from the most reserved and indifferent person she knew, to someone who smiled and laughed often whenever she was talking to Sasuke. Yuriko didn't know Sasuke enough to notice a change in character, but that didn't matter as long as he took care of her dear friend.

They were more open with their affection, that's something she was very happy about. Gone were the sneaky looks and slight touches; she would often find them just standing there holding each other, whispering amongst themselves, and sometimes, she would see them kiss. The wonders of love, it made her heart warm thinking about how deserving Hinata was of such things.

Even during Hinata's birthday, which they usually spent together, she was attached to Sasuke as if she was scared to have him out of her sight. The only times they were away from each other was when Sasuke was taking care of official affairs with Toneri, and those were the only opportunities Yuriko was able to spend time with her. Not like she was complaining.

"Is there something you two will be doing today?" Yuriko asked as she poured some hot water into a bowl.

Hinata dipped her finger into the custard she was making before tasting it. "Why do you ask?"  She nodded in approval as she continued mixing it.

"You seem awfully chirpy right now." Yuriko rolled the dough carefully. "You're also making sweet custard buns, which you always hated doing."

"Mhm, we're leaving soon, I thought I should make them as a parting gift." She said without much thought.

"I could have done it if you asked." She handed Hinata the first batch of rolled out dough.

"You'd make it a little bit too sweet." Hinata thanked her and began placing spoonfuls of custard inside before folding the edges carefully. Placing the finished buns inside a bamboo steamer, she covered it and focused on filling the other bamboo steamer.

"So you're really making it for him."

"He would be eating—"

"Lady Hinata, I know you're making it for him to try, and the extra batch would be served with dinner for Toneri."

"Is it that obvious?"

"Very." She smiled. "Which isn't a bad thing; you've made countless meals for him when you were hiding him in the cabin. You just don't have to hide it from me." She winked.

"I wasn't trying to hide things from you."

"Whether you notice it or not, Hinata, you do tend to be rather secretive about certain things. It wouldn't cause you any harm to open up, and I hope you haven't been hiding things from your future husband."

She was right, and it was all due to how paranoid Hinata was about her safety. Although she knew she could trust Yuriko, she couldn't exactly help but to become hard to approach every few days when she found herself on high alert again.

"I haven't." She answered, "he knows everything he needs to know about me. I can't think of anything else that I can keep a secret when he's rather observant."

"That's a good thing, it means that he would be able to comfort you whenever you need it. I don't doubt him for a second either."

They finished rolling the buns, giving it a few minutes to cook as they cleaned the kitchen. Their conversation covered multiple topics as they worked with each other. Yuriko would sometimes stray from their topic to make a connection with Hinata's relationship, which would make the Hyūga woman feel flustered as she tried to stay on topic.