Chapter Six: Seesaw

Sasuke waited for his father to speak as they sat across from each other. Based on the sounds of ruffling paper and the brush being dipped in ink, he deduced that he was busy probably writing him off to some family he didn't care about. Wondering if Naruto had remained outside after he escorted him to his father's office, he was brought back to reality when Fugaku cleared his throat.

"As I have briefly mentioned earlier, I've decided on the four women who were observed during the dinner to be suitable enough for you." Fugaku waited for the paper to dry before folding it carefully.

"You were serious?"

"When have I ever given the impression that I wasn't? If you stopped ignoring me whenever I attempted to hold a conversation with you to let you know about this arrangement — we wouldn't be sitting here right now. Perhaps you would have come to terms with this decision as well."

"You're really going to go through with this plan even though I'm against it? Aren't you supposed to be my father?"

"I can't sit at the throne forever, Sasuke, and you're the only one who can inherit this position of power. Unfortunately, I can't simply let you take over without marrying and birthing a child—"

"So that if I die, they can be trained and take my place, I know how this works. I just don't understand why you're constantly trying to push me to do something I'm clearly not ready for."

"You're very ready, Sasuke, you're just scared."

"As I rightfully am! It's been ten years since I've lost sight of this world, my brother and my mother. You don't get to decide how ready I am simply because you've accepted everything that's happened." His eyebrows furrowed in frustration. "Mother kept telling me to articulate myself better in hopes of it fixing things between us, and I've tried countless times, but at this point you're just willfully ignoring what I say."

"I am not ignoring how you feel, and I have not moved on from those accidents. Do not speak to me that way."

Sasuke stood up, "I will speak to you whichever way I want since you don't appreciate it when I'm trying to be civil instead of letting my anger take over. I don't want to get married, I don't want to inherit the throne, and I sure as hell don't want you as my father—"

Fugaku glared at him for a few seconds until it finally registered that he had hit his son. Not saying a word, his hand fell back to his side as he remained dazed by his actions.

Sasuke's eyes stung, a thousand emotions went through his head as he tried to decide whether or not everything happening was a dream. Tears soaked the cloth covering his eyes as he finally turned to the direction of his father's presence. If he could see, he was sure that his father was matching his gaze with one of indifference. "Mother would never have let this happen." He mumbled. "I will be in my room."

"Sasuke, we are not done talking."

"We clearly have." He reached out for the door and opened it with some difficulty. "I don't want to talk to you right now. If you're so adamant on bringing these women to the Palace, then go ahead, but that does not mean that I will love them." He left the office and closed the door as softly as he could in his state of sadness.

Naruto wasn't waiting in the halls as he had originally thought, he figured that he was called away to attend something else during the time he was waiting. With his hands pressed against the wall, he walked back to his room with slow steps. All that was on his mind was the ringing in his ears from his father's slap. Did he step out of line? He honestly thought that he hadn't since he was constantly pushed into a corner and forced to be complacent whenever he had an opposing opinion about a matter.