Chapter 65 Before the exam

Start from the beginning

As for sedan chairs and carriages, Huitang Town does not have such equipment.

You arrived early and had plenty of time. Lu Xu was not in a hurry and followed the noodle shop owner's directions to stay at the inn in Huitang Town.

Seeing that they had arrived, they still spent money to stay in the hotel. The innkeeper saw that they were not short of money and asked them if they wanted to help find a car.

Lu Xu spent ten cents to ask the waiter to help find a car. After breakfast, the waiter actually helped them find a mule cart.

The mule is quite old, but it can be seen that the owner has raised it very dearly. The mule is clean and the car is also cleaned. Lu Xu happily paid and put the few luggage on the car. The coachman was relieved to see that they only had so little luggage.

The coachman made auspicious remarks all the way, saying that the two of them looked like they were in high school, which made Lu Xu very happy. When they reached the uphill road, Lu Xu took the initiative to jump out of the car and walk across the slope. It was so simple for a scumbag to express his happiness.

The closer he got to the gate of the state capital, the more people were on the road. Lu Xu saw many scholars carrying luggage, and some were endorsing books as they walked.

There was a middle-aged man with a big beard and unkempt face. He was holding a book in one hand and a dry sesame seed cake in the other. He was eating while walking. There were new and old patches everywhere on his clothes and shoes. He didn’t know where they came from. He was gone. how long.

Lu Xu looked sad and remembered what Ma Ruoqi said the night before yesterday that some states and counties stipulated that those over forty who had not yet won the scholarship were not allowed to take the exam again.

At that time, he thought this rule was good. He even thought that forty was too old and he should be thirty. There are more than one paths in life. If you are forty years old and have not passed the examination as a scholar, then you definitely have no talent for reading. It is better to give up early and do something else.

But now that I see such a person, I can't help but sympathize with him.

Here, people who are over fifty are already old. In a village, there are less than ten people who can live over sixty. Thirty or forty years is equivalent to the entire life. In a person's life, all his hope and energy are. According to poems and books, as long as you pass the exam, you will be exempted from taxes and corvee. Maybe your life will never be the same again.

Lu Xu turned his head and looked at Yan Junqi's childish profile.

In fact, in this world, the path that can change one's destiny is very narrow. Yan Junqi is also studying with the fate of his whole family on his shoulders.

The sun was approaching overhead, and the mule cart stopped at the city gate. Lu Xu finally saw the gate of the state capital. He looked up at the large city gate that was two meters higher than Guanyang. At the turret towering at the end of the city wall in the distance, he and Yan Jun lined up to register. Enter the city.

This is their state capital of Longxing, which is equivalent to the provincial capital of Longxing County.

When they arrived at the state capital, even their accents had changed. As soon as the city guards heard it, they knew they were foreigners. Looking at their clothes, they guessed that they were candidates for the exam.

Lu Xu carried his luggage and followed the city guard's instructions to first find the large school grounds behind the government office. Yan Junqi and the others set up a tent in the school grounds to take the exam.