Chapter 29 A sudden turn of events

Start from the beginning

The crowd fell silent again.

The faces of the villagers changed again and again. Hundreds of elite soldiers, are they here to protect the food and grass?

Li Zheng handed the gong to his son, and his voice became a little more weathered, "Our village has two days to hand over all the food. Let's go home and get ready."

It's like pouring a large basin of cold water on your head, and the joy of summer harvest is washed away.

Lu Xu turned around and saw Yuan Manniang, third aunt, and fourth aunt standing outside the crowd, with equally sad faces.

Yan Junqi's face darkened greatly.

Lu Xu asked him in a low voice: "Has your family stored enough food?"

Yan Junqi shook his head.

When the wheat was just harvested, he had already bought the grain for which he had to pay the field tax from people with more fields in the village. However, at that time, he bought it based on last year's field tax. He only bought a total of three hundred kilograms of grain for his family. , almost all the family’s money was spent.

Five acres of land. According to the average output of good land this year, one acre is 300 kilograms. In 25/20, his family has to pay 375 kilograms of grain. Nowadays, grain is expensive. One kilogram of new wheat costs 40 kilograms. Where can he go? How about seventy-five pounds?

Lu Xu asked: "How much difference?"

Yan Junqi: "It's still seventy-five catties short."

How much money the Yan family has, apart from Yan Junqi and his son, Lu Xu knows best. Lu Xu said, "Take it from my house first."

Yan Junqi was dejected, he trembled unconsciously: "Brother Xu, I might not be able to make it."

The mother and son cannot earn ten taels of silver without eating or drinking for a year, let alone spending money on food, drinking, writing, and ink. If the land tax is higher next year, let alone studying and taking exams, they will not be able to survive!

Lu Xu held Yan Junqi's shoulders: "If you don't pay, you still owe me. It doesn't matter, the days will pass."

He shook Yan Junqi and said, "Don't think too wildly. Something must have happened this year. If the land tax is so high every year..." He lowered his voice so that only Yan Junqi could hear, "That's forcing rebellion!"

Yan Junqi's heart suddenly palpitated.

"Use your smart little mind and think about it. It won't always be like this. Don't panic." Lu Xu grabbed Yan Junqi's shoulders with force. In fact, he was confused in his heart. He couldn't figure out. Is the court crazy?

Last year when prices closed at 23/20, several places in Guanyang almost rioted. Now this year the prices have risen so much, aren't you afraid of triggering a civil uprising?

Lu Xu was so panicked that he pretended to be calm and comforted Yan Junqi, "Are you in a hurry to raise military rations again, or is there a famine somewhere? Why don't I go to the county to find someone to find out?"

Yan Junqi's shoulder was sore from his scratching, but he gradually calmed down. He calmed down and said: "Guanyang was not affected by the spring flood this year, but Hui County and Tonghe County next door were affected. Our Longxing County is the imperial court. If the grain-producing areas cannot receive grain from Huixian and Tonghe, they may have to add grain taxes to surrounding counties."

"Yes, yes!" Lu Xu also slowly calmed down. His father and Yan Junqi's father had an accident while digging canals in Tonghe County.

They didn't know that Yan Junqi had guessed the situation correctly.