Chapter 3 Fried snails

Start from the beginning

The whole family was satisfied with the meal. Except for the small pot of snails that was reserved for two uncles' families, it was all eaten. When they couldn't eat any more, Yuan Manniang tidied up the food.

Lu Zhou took La Yue to deliver fried snails to his uncle's house. Lu Xu sat at the table and watched Yuan Manniang dipping the steamed buns in the soup to eat. He subconsciously looked at the empty main seat. According to memory, if his father was still here, he would be holding the twelfth lunar month, picking snail meat for them one by one, and dipping his own steamed buns into vegetable soup.

Seeing Lu Xu staring at the host in a daze, Yuan Manniang swallowed the steamed bun and said with some anxiety, "Xu'er, there is something I want to discuss with you."

Lu Xu: "Say."

Yuan Manniang spoke with great difficulty, squeezing her fingers in confusion, "Well, let me tell you, Xu'er, that oil is the lamp oil to be used for the New Year vigil..."

Lu Xu coughed violently, his voice cracking, "It's not cooking oil? Can't you eat it?"

Yuan Manniang had never heard of the term "edible oil" before, and she was stunned before saying, "Of course it can be eaten. If you want to eat it, you can steam some oil rolls occasionally."

She was struggling, and Lu Xu understood.

Their family cannot afford oil.

He used the oil that he planned to use until the New Year.

Lu Xu blushed.

"These snails are delicious, but don't eat too much," Yuan Manniang said in a low voice while holding her fingers and lowering her head, "You know, after your father was buried, most of our family's land was sold..."

Lu Xu said nothing.

He knew this.

His father died outside, and he would either be buried in the ground or have someone transport him back. Carrying the coffin back required a lot of manpower and travel expenses. His father's death was considered a sudden death. According to their local customs, a sudden death is unlucky and a monument cannot be erected and cannot be entered into the ancestral grave. Lu Xu and Yuan Maniang were surprisingly consistent on this point. They sold their land. Even if he borrows money, he wants his father to be buried properly in his ancestral grave. Lu Xu's two uncles, an aunt, and his surviving grandparents all took out the money, asked people to do enough rituals to clear away the obscurity, and invited the whole family to a banquet to watch the ceremony, before burying his father in the ancestral grave.

In this way, their family's savings and the money from selling the land were not only used up, but they also owed debts to their uncle and aunt's family.

Yuan Manniang continued to count, "Later, you became seriously ill, and there was really nothing I could do, so I decided to sell some land to you for medical treatment..."

Lu Xu: "..."

She glanced at Lu Xu quickly and sighed with relief, "Fortunately, your illness is cured."

Lu Xu's eyebrows twitched, thinking, no, the original Lu Xu is gone...

To be fair, Lu Xu's stepmother was actually pretty good to him. He raised his eyebrows every day, and she didn't starve him, cold him, or blow his father's pillow wind and turn him into a stepfather. She treated Lu Zhou It's even more like a biological child.

For the past two days when he had a headache and pretended to be faint, she would go to the bedside from time to time to cover him with a quilt and wipe his face. It was such a small thing that he couldn't remember it. As far as he could remember, no one except his grandma had taken such good care of him. He kissed his father. Mom, we are all great people who are so busy with their careers that they no longer want their children or their family.

Although she was sitting by the bed sobbing alone and crying about what their family would do in the future, he was still very embarrassed.

Lu Xu calmed down and asked in a deep voice, "Is there any field left?"

Yuan Manniang hummed like a mosquito: "There are still two acres of good land left."

Lu Xu's eyes darkened. Although he had never farmed before, he probably knew that two acres of land could not support five people.

He asked, "Is there any money left?"

Yuan Manniang nodded hurriedly, and her voice became louder, "There are still one, two, or three dollars left. First, pay back the money of your third uncle, fourth uncle, and aunt, or..."

Lu Xu: "Let's keep it for now." Anyway, it's not enough to pay back. If they pay back the money, let alone the oil, their family might not even be able to eat sour steamed buns.

Lu Xu stared at the table worriedly. The wild vegetables and pickles that were hard to swallow just now seemed to be... not inedible...

Seeing him staring at the dining table again, Yuan Manniang asked quickly, "Xu'er, are you not full? There are still steamed buns in the pot."

Lu Xu quickly shook his head. He could eat it if he could, but he didn't really want to eat sour steamed buns until the end of time.

Yuan Manniang comforted him, "Actually, it's not that we can't survive. Mom has thought about it. Zhou'er, La Yue, and Rui'er are still young and can't eat much. Our family only has two acres of land and I can handle it. No matter how much I have, Weave some cloth and raise two more broods of chickens and ducks. Zhou'er and La Yue can help with weeding. I usually sew clothes for people. If you still want to go back to the county to be an apprentice, go ahead. If you want to stay at home, let's start. If you save some wasteland and save some time, you can always survive."

Lu Xu blushed even more.

Looking at her face, which said "I don't have to worry about everything at home", and then looking at her little brother lying in her arms, taking a nap with his fingers in his mouth, Lu Xu felt very complicated. She was also 25 years old, and his eldest cousin graduated from graduate school. She has been resting at home for more than a year, playing on her mobile phone or watching variety shows every day, while Yuan Manniang has to raise four children to support the family.

Lu Xu rubbed his face and said, "I understand."

© 2010-2020 quanben-xiaoshuo.com