Chapter 45

Eben's mother is extremely nice. She tells me about her island home with a view of the ocean. The island she comes from is full of people who can blend their bodies seamlessly with their surroundings. When she was little, she was taught to gather fruit from the trees and harvest the crops there so when she moved to Rosewood her skills were praised. We talk a little before she starts to ask me about my life before coming here.

"I know how hard it must've have been hard for you to leave everything you knew." She speaks with wisdom beyond her years. She has a distant look in her eyes that tells me she is reminiscing about her homeland.

"I didn't really have a choice," I shrug. "Besides there wasn't much left for me after my father died. I had the flower shop, but I wasn't happy."

"That must be why your powers emerged late," she says so confidently that I look up at her in shock and confusion.

"What do you mean?"

She smiles fondly at me before explaining, "People in my culture believe that power doesn't come with age like most do here. We believe that a person's power grows stronger when they are on the right path in life." She seems to be drawn into her mind with that soft smile on her lips. It's obvious that she is lost in a memory that only she can see. "I didn't gain control over my camouflaging abilities until I spent time with Eben's father."

"So, your power can be connected to your destiny?" I ask curiously.

"The heart knows where it's needed," she says. "It will find a way to lead you down the right path. You just have to believe in it."

"If only people here felt the same way as your people do," I say with hurt in my voice.

She pauses with a look of concern in her eyes before continuing. "It would be helpful in some aspects," she nods in agreement.

"Has it always been this way?" I ask curiously.

"Well, I know people were less accepting of newcomers when I first came here," she nods then shakes her head, "I don't think its gotten much better though, unfortunately."

"I wish more people were accepting of new ideas," I sigh sadly, "but I guess I'm used to people being close minded."

"I have faith that it will get better one day," she smiles fondly at me, "the people just need to have a reason to think differently. If this is the only way they know to think, how do they know to think in another way if there isn't someone to show them that new way?"

I ponder the thought for a moment when something pops back into my mind, "So does that mean that Eben can camouflage like you can?"

"Yes. Not many people know he can, so he never really uses that specific skill set." She sighs a little to herself.

"I guess he is supposed to be one of the next council members. It wouldn't be seen as good if one of the heads of state was open about the fact that he could hide wherever he wants in the village." It seems wrong that Eben has to hide a part of who he is for the sake of a job he doesn't even want.

"My son wasn't lying when he told me you are intelligent," she smiles.

"Does he talk about me often?" I am confused. The thought of Eben talking about me to his mother makes my heart race slightly.

"They all do," she nodded proudly. "Frankly, you seem to be their favorite topic of conversation."

"How so?" I say shocked

"Alun used to only talk about foreign affairs before you showed up, Neven and Aaden have become interested in botany out of the blue, and Eben has been researching different cultures and their beliefs on how special abilities affect the body." she chuckles a little. "They all seem so infatuated with you. I've never seen anything like it."

"Why would they all do that for me? I've been nothing but a burden to them?" I don't mention her son and his friends having a hidden motive. Even if I could tell her it wouldn't be right to speak unkindly of her child.

"They don't see it that way. Trust me. I don't think any of them have ever seemed this happy" she leans towards me and grabs my hand. "You have made all of them into happier men in a matter of months. Before you they did as they were told just to keep the peace, but now they all seem genuinely happy to be doing good for the village."

"But I didn't do anything."

"Sometimes all we need to find purpose in life is someone to fight for."