Chapter 6

Much to my surprise the water still runs so I take a much-needed bath before starting my day. After washing my long blonde hair as best I could, wash up and get dressed, I start backtracking to the garden where I grab some plums to eat for breakfast. While searching the rest of the water and earth wings, I find another study in the earth wing that's in similar condition to the one in the water wing. Grabbing the few books that aren't damaged I put them in my bag to continue my search. I decide to go to the bedroom to look through the rest of the royal families' things to get a better grip of where everything is. I find my way from the bedroom to the king and queens chambers and see that they are two massive, conjoined rooms each with their own washroom and balcony. The king's chamber has royal purple walls, white marble floors, and a black ceiling. A grand crystal chandelier hangs from the ceiling catching the light coming in from the open balcony window. The bed frame is dark wood with gold azaleas blooming around the wood, and the sheets are the same purple as the walls. The queen's chambers are similar with silver instead of the gold, a smaller balcony, and a smaller chandelier. Sitting in the queen's chambers, I hear a creaking in the king's room. I hesitantly cross through the doorway to see what made the noise and look around for the culprit. I'm not sure if I'm terrified or relieved when I don't find anything.

"Hello, is anyone here?" I say reluctantly even though logically I know I won't receive an answer. Relief fills me when I get my wish and silence hangs in the air.

I continue searching the castle and find a few more books in the fire wing and I find the kitchen as well. None of the food that was left was any good, but there were still some knives and pans there so at least if I find some food I'll have the utensils to make a respectable meal. After searching the fire wing, I choose to sit in the garden and read through the books I've found. Out of everything I found, the only information that is useful is that there's a village not too far from the castle. Although there is nothing about which direction to go or if it still exists, I'm still pleased that there is a village out there somewhere. Since I've gone through most of the castle and can't find any other useful information, I guess it is time to trek outside these walls to either find civilization or at least some other kind of food.

I grab a knife and my bag then head back out into the woods determined to find something other than plums since I have no idea where to begin looking for the supposed village. I get a few yards away from the garden and find some chicken of the woods mushrooms growing on a tree stump. Taking some, I continue moving while keeping the castle walls in range until I reach the tower. A few steps away from the tower I manage to find some wild radish. As I finish digging some out of the ground, I hear a twig snap not far off from where I am.

I look up in front of me scared and the wolf from a few days ago is staring me down. "Oh shit," I whisper as I notice the all too familiar situation I'm in once again. My blonde hair falls in my face, blocking my hazel eyes, while I grab my bag and run as fast as I can back to the castle. Fear races through my veins as I try to get back to safety as quickly as possible.

When the base of the tower is in sight, I notice a small door that's not boarded up and figure it's probably my best bet on staying alive. I quickly grab the handle, race inside, and fling the door shut behind me as fast as possible. I leaned against the door and try to get my gasps under control and slow my racing heart. The tower is the only part of the castle I haven't searched since it's been pretty much destroyed from the outside. Once I feel in better control of myself, I push my hair out of my face and start looking around. I find the staircase in the dark chamber and begin to climb the steps to find the entrance to the castle. As I reach the second floor, I see some light shining through a hole in the wall which illuminates the room. I figure that it is a door that presumably leads back into the castle and take another staircase that continues up. I go to open the door and then stop dead in my tracks. From up in the tower something or someone whistles an out of tune song. Was there someone actually in the castle other than myself all this time?

The tune echoes through the air and rings in my ears like a siren willing me towards it. I grab my knife and slowly walk up the stairs. The sound grows louder as I get further up until I get to the top which is a study much like the ones in the rest of the castle. There is a small balcony opposite the stairs and as I look out, I see a young man sitting on the railing with his legs hanging in the wind. I stay as silent as I can as I come up behind him when suddenly he propels himself over the edge and falls from the tower. I run to the edge to see if he really did what I just saw him do, or if I was hallucinating somehow but as I look over the railing, I see no one just the land below. I keep looking frantically until I feel a tap on my shoulder from behind me.

"Well, hello pretty stranger. I didn't hear you come in."