Chapter 19 - An Ancestral Visit & A Plea To Flee

[PoV - Grian]

Grian and Joel froze.

"Who in bloomn' Notch's name are you?"

"Heyyy, Joel." A petite pink-haired young woman leaped down from the tree. She definitely isn't lacking in the agility department, Grian noted. Upon seeing the pained, awkward look Joel and Lizzie were exchanging Grian almost stepped back to give them space... almost until Lizzie seemed to read his mind and flash him a horrified glance. Grian then remembered her warning to not take another step.

"Lizzie." Joel said, uncertainty laced every word. Lizzie brushed her hand over his face before she forced herself to retract it and turn to Grian.

"There's a tripwire right in front of you. I set a trap to explode anyone who trips it." Lizzie explained. She walked forward and pulled back the foliage to reveal a wooden hook. The trap was invisible in the clouded forest roof.

"But you warned us." Grian's nose wrinkled in confusion. Lizzie's agonized glance back at Joel's face answered all his questions. Grian fell silent.

"H-how are you?" Joel asked Lizzie. Grian couldn't help but feel like he was intruding on something he shouldn't. But he didn't have anywhere else to go - he was willing to bet Lizzie knew the way to Ren's and that was why this particular section of the forest was trapped.

"I'm... I'm well." Lizzie murmured. "We can go back to my base if we want. Unless... of course... Ren's..."

Grian was becoming increasingly uncomfortable.

"No, no, that won't be necessary. It's not important. Where do you live?" The corners of Joel's mouth tilted upwards for the first time that day.

"Heyyy - so I'm gonna' go do you think you could point me in Ren's direction, Liz?" Grian wrinkled his nose.

"That way," Lizzie pointed in the direction of the tripwire without turning her head to look away from Joel. They looked like they were trying to memorize each other's faces or something. "Straight ahead until the trees end and you see the meadow cliff. Their house is at the very top of the mountain with the cave in it." Lizzie continued.

Grian started off before he could see anything else. He couldn't help the tiny prick of jealousy. Unlike Joel, he'd never had anyone to love like that. Call it what they would define it however they wanted, but it was love. Grian forced himself to remember why he could never love someone again. Told himself over and over that this existence - this lonesome, loveless existence - was what was best for everyone. Not just himself.

Grian peered ahead as he strained his eyes to find the clearing. To his alarm, the sky was beginning to darken. Grian's pace quickened to a jog. A stabbing pain sunk into his shin and he cried out in alarm. His bracelet flashed. Grian ignored the blood. He had to get to the shelter. He knew he could probably make himself one or at least climb a tree but he preferred to have the night to talk with Ren, Mumbo, and Skizz. He hoped they would be able to help him find his soulmate since they were located much farther north.

The chill of the night air began to seep in, as Grian's thoughts raced faster than his footsteps. The forest, while hauntingly beautiful in the moonlight, hid its own perils, not to mention the creatures that lurked within. His ears caught a distant howling, growing nearer with every passing second. He felt the prick of knowing... he was being watched.

Grian quickened his pace, the sound of swift steps echoing his from behind. Panic surged within him. Was it Jimmy? Bdubs? Mojang? Or something far more sinister? He dared not turn to look.

Suddenly, a strong hand grasped his shoulder, yanking him back. Prepared to face a foe, Grian was taken aback to see it was Skizz, eyes wide with alarm.

Soulbreak - A MCYT 3rd/Last/Double Life FanFictionजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें