🌻The Hanahaki Disease🌻

Start from the beginning

"Sunflowers.."

Hailey heard her own voice in her conscience.

"Jake's favourite type of flower.."

She stared at the petal for a few more seconds before her grip on it began to loosen. It wasn't long before the floral leaf fell softy from her fingertips and back onto the sink's surface. Hailey assumed she was finished another coughing fit and she could leave the school bathrooms now, which is what she had been wanting since she came in there. It was a relief no other students were in the bathrooms with her to witness this horrific sight that was in no way pleasant to see or experience.

Before leaving the facility, Hailey turned on the tap and watched the delicate water wash away all her misery. Of course, she didn't want to leave a mess in the sink. It would have been like her own little message to the school that she was suffering with the Hanahaki disease. The truth would soon enough step into the light and be revealed to those she loved, but Hailey didn't want anyone to know as of now. She hoped she could keep this secret even for a little while longer.

Once all the sunflower petals and blood had been cleansed, Hailey turned off the faucet and stopped the water. With an apathetic sigh, Hailey began to walk away from the washbasin and was heading towards the direction of the bathroom's front doors that would lead her out. Hailey reached her hand out onto the handle, and pulled it open. Her eyes were remaining fixed onto the ground.

"I hate my life.." She thought to herself.

Hailey finally stepped out of the bathrooms after all this time, hearing the door shut behind her. She was just about to trudge her exhausted self through the school hallways and leave the building until suddenly, she felt a hand pull her back from the shoulder.

"Hailey...?!"

Hailey could feel her heart sink to her stomach once she heard that voice. She knew exactly who that voice belonged to, and it was the last person she wanted to see, hear, or be near right now. She had been staying away and maintaining her distance from said person, but it looks like they were going to bump into eachother eventually, and that was happening right at this moment.

Though she really didn't want to, Hailey steadily turned her head around to meet the eyes of the one who had abruptly grabbed onto her collarbone like that. She was holding onto her breath unknowingly, praying to herself that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't who she thought it was. That maybe she had imagined that specific voice to call her name out in such a manner a few seconds ago.

But of course, the cards were not playing in her favour. They never were.

Sure enough, she locked eyes with the person she expected to see behind her.

And that person was everything to her.

The love of her life. Her best friend and soulmate.

Someone she has been yearning for.

Someone she had desired for so long, and still does to this day.

That person was none other than Jake Sterling.

"Hailey! Thank God! Are you okay?!" Jake exclaimed, showing signs of worry and concern. He didn't even wait for the teal-haired girl to give a response before he pulled her into a massive hug. He held onto her tightly, and was leaving Hailey stunned at his actions.

"J-Jake..?" Hailey could only mumble out as she was feeling confused. Jake had popped out of nowhere and was now here hugging here like there was no tomorrow. She didn't know what to do. Should she hug him back regardless of how puzzled she was feeling? She wasn't sure, so all she did was stand there instead.