Chapter 43

Fiza arrived at her house, feeling the weight of her decision to meet Tariq Moideen, a prospective groom, looming over her. She had approximately two hours to settle in and get dressed for the meeting.

As she stepped into the shower, she scrubbed herself vigorously, as if trying to wash away the lingering presence of Alan. Tears mixed with the water, and she couldn't pinpoint the exact reason for her sadness. She was, after all, taking control of her future and exploring the possibility of someone new. But the image of Alan breaking down in tears haunted her. Their relationship had recently been a constant cycle of pain, and it was clear they were wrong for each other. Yet, letting go was never easy.

Those haunting words of Alan echoed in Fiza's mind as she stood under the cold water, feeling it cascade over her face.

"I can never love anyone the way I love you."

She couldn't deny that their love had been intense, passionate, and tumultuous. But their relationship had also been marked by hurt, misunderstandings, and pain.

"I loved you for seven years, Fiza. Do you think I could just abandon you and be okay? I didn't move on, Fiza; I barely survived."

The emotional weight of their history bore down on her, making her question the path she was now walking.

She wore an anarkali dress, its fit tailored to Farzana's measurements, causing it to hang slightly loosely on her slender frame.

Applying some light makeup, she left her hair to cascade down, effortlessly framing her face. Despite minimal effort, she exuded a natural beauty that was hard to ignore. A sigh escaped her lips as she took in her reflection in the mirror.

Attempting to assist her mother in the kitchen, she was promptly shooed away. As she contemplated her impending meeting, a message from Alan appeared on her phone.

"Let me know how it goes," he wrote.

"Ok," she confirmed.

Tariq's family arrived, fashionably late by 30 minutes. Fiza's mother, graciously reheated the tea and samosas in the microwave to ensure a warm welcome.

Tariq himself was not unattractive and proved to be quite engaging in conversation with Fiza's father. He eagerly explained his startup venture, "We are working on a solution for people who want to do an extended staycation and work from different locations. It's a little bit like a time share."

"We're in the early stages, just a startup for now," he said enthusiastically. "But I have faith in our company. I think we'll grow into something significant. Of course, I'm also being realistic - I haven't quit my day job yet!" He chuckled, and Fiza's father joined in, finding Tariq's enthusiasm infectious.

As they chatted and laughed, Fiza couldn't help but think, "Maybe Pappa should marry him," her irritation simmering beneath the surface.

Fiza found herself drifting in and out of the conversation, her mind repeatedly returning to the feel of Alan's breath on her face, his arms and legs wrapped around her, invading her thoughts and senses.

Tariq's father eventually suggested, "Maybe they can talk in private now."

Fiza's father nodded in agreement. After the ordeal with Faisal, he was naturally cautious about leaving his daughter alone with anyone. "Yes, Fiza, take him to the music room. Leave the door open," he instructed.

Caught in her thoughts, Fiza hesitated for a moment before finally getting up. "Yeah, this way," she said, leading Tariq to the music room, where they could have a more private conversation, albeit with the door ajar.