47 - Nice

. . .

Andros Kozlov

I looked down at my hands.

There were nail wounds on my palms which were bleeding.

Hedeon pressed his thumb on the scanner and the partition slid open. "You're a free bird.""

"Shut up." I didn't feel rested, at all. This wasn't helping. I didn't want to say that to anyone. It didn't matter, either. I could be tired as long as no one was getting hurt. I wasn't a kind man. But there was no fucking point in bashing my own workers' heads in.

"Dahlia visited you when you were sleepwalking."

I paused. "She did?"

"Yes. Talk to her. And, something is going on with Alexandre."

"What?"

"Dahlia asked him how many people he has been with."

"That set him off?"

"He's thinking too much. Dahlia is curious about our past. We can't stop her from asking questions."

I nodded, wearing my T-shirt. My bones felt heavy. I was too tired.

"Where is Dahlia?"

"Alexandre and Dahlia are having lunch together in his room. You can talk to her afterward."

"I don't think I should. They need their time together."

"Ignoring her is not an option, Andros."

I shrugged. I didn't know how to talk to her. To make her see me as more than what I did when I wasn't in control of my body. I didn't know how to even look at her now.

"I'll talk to her."

"Will you?"

"Stop being condescending."

"Just talk to her. You know you'll feel better."

. . .

I stared at the ceiling, leaning back into my chair. I couldn't focus on work. I didn't give a fuck about it anymore. We didn't even really need to work. We had all the money we could ever need. It was just something to occupy our minds with.

Now, we had something else to occupy our minds with.

It was about five. Alexandre was probably cooking dinner. Dahlia must be there. I could go and talk to her. Maybe apologize. Hedeon told me she threw up.

But I couldn't promise anything like that would never happen again. It could. It probably would.

There was a knock on the door.

"Who is there?"

"It's Batman."

"Come in, Dahlia."

Dahlia walked in, dressed in a giant t-shirt and shorts. Her hair was up in a bun and glasses were set on her nose. Dahlia usually wore contacts. Her classes made her look cute.

She slowly approached me. She had an ice cream tub in her hands with two spoons.

"Hey."

"Hey, baby. You got me ice cream?"

"I got us ice cream." She set it on the table. "Where do I sit?"

I tapped my thigh. "Here's your throne."

She smiled and sat down. "You're cheesy."

"Only because you smile when I'm cheesy." I took the spoons from her hands and opened the tub.