70 - Softer

. . .

TW- Mention of Sexual Assault

Dahlia

I woke up with red eyes, a sore throat and a different kind of heaviness than what I had felt the previous months. This felt like I was...feeling something. There wasn't that emptiness that had been there for so long. This was something. That made feel better. Even though I couldn't stop crying. This was something.

I cleaned up my room, a task that required too much strength, but I managed to do it, even though I took breaks to cry.

I opened my store. I arranged the books. I cleaned it. I managed to stay there for about four hours till I couldn't bear the stares of every customer.

I went to a bakery and bought doughnuts and cupcakes.

Then I drove to the ship.

. . .

My hands hurt carrying the boxes. I had lost weight. I was unhealthy. I tried to eat at least one meal a day, but I more often than not ditched that. Hedeon and Andros had tried to make me eat, but I couldn't stomach what I didn't want to eat. I'd throw up in mere minutes. Soon, it got too embarrassing and I begged them to leave me alone.

The meetings were reduced from twice a day to once every two days, and then, three months had passed and I hadn't seen them. They almost every day sent me messages, asking if they could visit. I always said no. I told them I would come to them when I was ready.

I was as ready as I could be then, parking my car and carrying the boxes of baked goods and a few tubs of ice cream to the ship.

I met Minnie first. It warmed my heart to see her. I set the boxes on the island in the kitchen, and picked Minnie up. I hadn't seen anyone on the ship. Two men had let me in, but they disappeared after that. Everything was too quiet.

I cuddled Minnie, who had grown a lot, to my chest and kissed her head as she meowed up at me. I petted her belly, sitting down on the counter of the kitchen, staring out of the window. It was almost dinner done.

The door opened and Andros or Hede-

My eyes dropped to the heart drawn on his hand. He must have drawn it himself.

"Baby."

He rushed towards me, cupping my face, setting his forehead against mine as he let out a sigh that seemed to release all the tension from his body.

Minnie hopped away after meowing complaints when I stopped letting her. She ran out of the kitchen.

I wrapped my arms around him, pushing myself against his chest, trying to disappear into his arms. "Andros," I whispered.

"Dahlia," he said. "Baby, you're here."

I nodded, wrapping my arms together around him. He wrapped his arms around my waist, almost lifting me off the counter. He kissed my head, muttering my name over and over again as if a desperate prayer he needed answered.

He pulled back, cupping my face again. "Dahlia," he breathed. "How-"

"I got us ice cream," I said. "Do you..." I sniffled, blinking the tears away. God, had he always felt this good? Being close to him felt like an experience too good to have. "Do you want to eat ice cream with me, Andros?"

"Yes," he said instantly. "Yes, baby. I want that more than anything."

I smiled. "I..." I hesitated. "I love you, Andros. I am sorry I never said that before."

"You did."

"How do you know that?"

"I watch the tapes. I watched them obsessively these past few months. I just needed to see you." His giant hands rubbed my waist. "I love you, Dahlia. I love you so much. And I...I am sorry "