16. Welcome To The Family

At the door was Lily with her family. Next to her stood her sister, who had short brown hair, contrasting Lily's long red locks. Petunia had a resting bitch face, which James thought would be less prominent, but Lily was right, James couldn't tell if she was pissed, or if she always looked like that. 

"Come in! I'm James, it's great to finally meet you all." He put on his most welcoming smile, forgetting about everything that happened earlier the moment Lily wrapped her arms around his shoulders and kissed him on the cheek.

"We have been looking forward to meeting you ever since Lily told us about you." Mrs. Evans smiled and the group stepped inside.

"Oh they're here! James why didn't you tell me?" Effie came into the living room, tying her hair into a messy bun. 

"They just got here mum." James said.

"I'm Euphemia, you guys can call me Effie. And oh merlin, Lily you are so beautiful, I thought James was overexaggerating." She smiled. "And you must be Petunia. I love that dress!" Effie smiled, then went on to have a conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Evans.

"Both Sirius and Remus are here?" Lily asked.

"Remus practically lives here over the hols." James shrugged, "and Sirius actually lives here."

"Oh before I forget, Mary is hosting a New year's party at her house, would you guys like to go?" She asked.

"I would love to. I'll force the boys to go." James grinned, wrapping an arm over Lily's shoulders. 

James looked over at Petunia, who sat down in an armchair, an annoyed expression on her face.

"She always like this?" James asked.

"Unfortunately, since she found out I was a witch, it's ruined her life." Lily mumbled.

𝄽

Dinner was amazing. James and Lily's parents seemed to get along, and everything went fine minus some negative comments from petunia.

"We apologize about petunia. She isn't usually like this, but it's hard for her to accept all this... magic and everything, it's strange to us, you understand." Mrs. Evans explained.

"I think it's all fascinating how all this actually exists. So you can just do whatever as long as you know the incantation?" Mr. Evans asked.

Fleamont laughed, "it's not as easy as it seems, but yes. We prefer to do cooking and cleaning manually, but we could do a lot of it through magic." He explained.

James noticed Sirius and Remus sitting silently and awkwardly, exchanging questioning glances. James leaned over to Sirius and whispered, "Sorry you guys have to sit through this."

Sirius chuckled, "it's alright prongs. Me and Remus love you so we will sit through your awkward meeting the family dinners."

"Thanks mate." He smiled. He then looked over at Petunia who looked extremely confrontational at the moment, and he wondered what she wanted to say.

"Hey Lily did you ever notice your boyfriend is a faggot?" She asked almost nonchalantly, ignoring everyone's faces as they gaped at her.

Lily's face got almost as red as her hair in anger. Sirius almost stood up, but both James and Remus pushed him down. Lily's parents looked stunned, and James's parents just frowned.

"Well first of all, there's nothing wrong with being gay, even though I'm not. I'm sorry you're so insecure that it makes you uncomfortable seeing me show affection for my friends." James said, making sure to keep himself composed.

Lily reached for his hand under the table, which he quickly reciprocated. "I am so sorry." She whispered to him.

"I think it's time we go home. I apologize about our daughter, she... she isn't very accepting of change." Mr. Evans stood up, glaring at Petunia as if she would blow up at any moment.

"It was great meeting you guys." Lily smiled at the potters. "James, I'll send you an owl about that new year's party." She gave James a peck on the cheek before following her parents and sister out the door.

James frowned and looked over at his friends and parents. "I knew petunia was bad, but I wasn't expecting that."

"It's my fault." Tears welled up in Sirius's eyes almost out of nowhere. James didn't know what to do. Sirius never cried, he wasn't the emotional one.

"Of course it wasn't, honey." Effie immediately crossed around the dining table to get next to Sirius. "Let's go sit on the couch." She said and led Sirius out to the living room.

𝄽

Regulus sat in his room with his friends, Barty, Evan, and Pandora. He was glad they came to visit. When they were over, he was safe. His cousins couldn't harass him, his mother couldn't scream at him. He was free. But he knew it wouldn't last long. Regulus knew his mother wanted him to get the mark, and it could happen any day now.

"I think my mother wants me to get the mark." Regulus said softly, almost unprompted, but he did that a lot.

Regulus was sitting on his floor, his back to the foot of his bed, Barty next to him, close enough that their thighs touched. Evan and Pandora sat across from them.

"Do you want to?" Pandora asked.

"Of course not, but what choice do I have?" Regulus asked. "I'm stuck here." He said.

"You do have to verbally give the dark lord your consent or he can't give you the mark." Evan said, "you could just say no." He suggested.

"You have met my relatives, correct? It's easy enough for you guys to avoid joining the group of terrorists." He sighed.

"I'm sorry Reggie." Barty said, placing a hand on his leg. Regulus flinched for a second, he wasn't used to this public flirting even though he was the one who suggested it. Evan still hasn't budged, though Regulus did notice the jealous glances occasionally.

"Maybe I could do something from the inside to end the war..." He thought. "Though it would be hard. The dark lord would want to keep me close at all times when I'm forced to join." Regulus leaned his head on Barty's chest. At this point he wasn't even trying to make Evan jealous, he just knew Barty would be willing to comfort him. Barty was always good at that kind of thing. 

"Don't do something you'll end up regretting reg." Evan said.

𝄽

I was gonna upload this earlier but my neighbors house caught on fire... is this the fanfic writers curse ive heard so much about?