Chapter Sixteen

MIA

MIA

The remnants of the glum atmosphere of the house sting right to my core as I slide onto the sofa and hold my head in my hands. Silently, Hailey joins my side and slithers her arm around my shoulder, her close proximity showing that she has my back regardless.

"Are you okay?" She asks softly, her arms squeezing gently.

I lift my head and nod. I catch Grayson standing awkwardly in the corner of the room, his flat eyes studying me at the same time a small, sympathetic smile grows on his lips. "I'm fine Hailey," I say exasperated. "I'm just tired of people running around after me and worrying all the time. How am I meant to be an adult if I'm not treated like one?"

"Hey." Grayson takes a step towards me, leaning down and pressing his lips delicately against my cheek. "I'm gonna go," he says almost regretfully. "I've got a lot to do anyway and I think it's best you and Hailey have some time together."

I nod at the same time a lump catches in my throat. I stand and curl my arms around Grayson's shoulders, my body warming when he hoists me up so that my legs hook around his waist. I squeeze so tight that I'm not sure I ever want to let go.

     "I love you," Grayson whispers tenderly into my ear. "So goddamn much."

I smile against his shoulder. "I love you so much too Grayson."

Grayson lowers me to the floor and flicks my hair playfully. With a smile and a nod to Hailey, he starts to the door and then leaves, leaving nothing but silence and deflation in his wake.

I shuffle to the sofa again, exhaling and wondering where my life goes from here. Before I can think much about it, Hailey is already eyeing me up mischievously.

     "So," she claps her hand and unravels a smile from her previously tightened lips. "Shall we go out? I think we're overdue a girls night."

I laugh unintentionally. I was half expecting a lecture of some form that would've half come from Lucas, but it seems even Hailey is through with the unnecessary drama. "Yes," I say enthusiastically. "Yes please!"

***

London is booming, yet I hadn't expected anything less as I smile and wade my way through intoxicated crowds. Hailey is already drunk, though we did raid our liquor cupboard as soon as our outfits had been chosen and hair had been styled.

     "This club! This one!" Hailey bellows, her lazy finger shooting in the direction of a shrieking building glowing with endless rows of neon lights. "We totally have to go here. Holly told me about this—it's got five floors!"

My eyes grow large as they focus on the tall, glass built building in front of me. "Then what the hell could go wrong?"

Hailey giggles menacingly as we join the end of the queue. The patrons outside are loud and careless, but, given my life for the past however many months, I join them in that fashion.