Chapter Fifteen

MIA

MIA

I was half hoping that when I awoke, it would be the sight of New York skyscrapers and flashing billboards that fly past me, but instead, as my eyes flicker open and closed, it's the sight of grey clouds and speckles of rain as they bleed down the car window.

I move in my seat, groaning. Buildings slow outside until I realise we've stopped at my house, the blue door whirring up feelings of angst and fear in my body.

"I'll come in with you," Grayson says from the driver side, his hand on my knee. "I can practically feel your heart beating with nerves."

I rub my forehead, exhaling. "I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to deal with this too. My problems shouldn't be your problems."

      "Quite the opposite Mia!" Grayson says, bewildered. "No matter who's in there, I'm with you. Your family are pissed with you because of me. Of course your problems are my problems. I want your problems to be my problems, okay?"

I nod gratefully. "Thanks Grayson."

I welcome his lips against my cheek, his large hand curved around my neck in protectiveness. "Come on. Let's go in. No time like the present hey?"

With a large breath, I step out of the Mercedes and take my suitcase from Grayson. We don't even make it to the front door before it swings open, Lucas, Hailey and my Dad stood there with blaring eyes.

My stomach sinks. I close my eyes and pray that nothing will come of this rendezvous, but, if nothing was going to come of it, then Lucas and my Dad wouldn't be here.

I sigh.

Grayson follows me as I ascend the steps, my head tilting enough to catch the frown line across my Dad's forehead.

     "Hi Dad," I say, feigning confidence. "I didn't realise you'd be here."

Grayson barely crosses the threshold before Dad slams the door and marches up behind us, Lucas stood in deep thought whilst Hailey awkwardly hovers behind him.

"What the hell do you think you're playing at Mia?" Dad booms, his boots pounding against the wooden floor. I turn hesitantly, shocked at my father's unusual rage. "You think it's okay to just sneak out of the house and hop on a fucking plane to New York? We've been worried sick about you!"

I bite my lip as I head into the lounge. "Dad I'm sorry!" I fold my arms in front of me as Grayson gingerly steps through the threshold, Lucas and Hailey not far behind. "I'm really sorry okay? But you wouldn't have let me go if I'd have told you."

     "Too right I wouldn't! You think I'm happy with you flying halfway across the world with this guy?" Dad's finger flies in the direction of Grayson, Grayson's hands shoved into the pockets of his jeans.

      "I'm really sorry Mr Thorpe," Grayson starts. "This is all my fault."

     "Don't you even—" Dad bites his tongue, drawing in a breath. "Don't even get me started on you. How dare you bring my daughter into your fucked up life."