Chapter Two

MIA

MIA

The car rolls to a slow stop just as my eyes narrow on the cusp of sleep.

I shake my head and rub my eyes, the familiar blue door barely visible through the darkness but lit just enough by the dim streetlight that spills an orange hue.

Next to me, Tommy looks at me with concern as he shuts off the engine to his car. His eyes dance about my face as he considers just what my life has consisted of since I moved to London.

But he'll never know. And he never needs to know.

     "You look whacked," he mumbles, his low voice hoarse and hazy. "You should go in and sleep. Forget that damned flight."

I force out a smile through the tiredness and I turn my body so that I'm facing Tommy straight on. "Tommy, I really appreciate what you did for me tonight"—I glance at the time on the dashboard and can barely believe it's 2.48am—"and I just want to say thank you."

Tommy nods his head a few times but I guess that he's wondering how far he should step in here. He knows he can't be the one to lecture me—given our history and his history of acting up—but I can tell that he still cares, even if he has a roundabout way of showing it.

     "I'm still going to catch that flight," I say softly, hesitantly. "But, if you're tired, you're welcome to come in and stay on the sofa for the night."

I think about Hailey and how she is probably fast asleep in there with no idea about what's going on—unless Lucas has got through to her and told her—and how she would react if Tommy came in with me at this time and insisted on staying on the sofa. The last time I saw Hailey I was balled up on the floor in a sobbing mess after I called things off with Grayson for good, and, as a best friend should, she told me to go back home for a bit to gather my thoughts. She sure as hell wouldn't have expected me to take that as a means to bring my ex back with me.

But, like Tommy, she doesn't know fully what's going on. Not just yet anyway.

      "Thanks, but no thanks," Tommy says with a one sided smile, and I involuntarily relax. As much as I don't want Tommy to be driving home alone at this time, I also didn't particularly want him sleeping on our sofa. "I've got to get back."

I nod and smile again. "Thank you Tommy. Honestly. You saved me tonight."

     "It's no problem Mia, but—" his eyebrows furrow, his eyes showing that he's gathering some thought behind them.

I twist my lip. "But what?"

He looks to me for a while and his lips move around whilst his mind whirs behind his eyes. After a beat, he drags a breath and says, "so everything after today is forgotten? Everything that's happened before tomorrow you and Grayson are not to dwell upon?"