I don't expect him to kiss me in front of my brother and cousin. At least he greets everyone first. I have to pull away before the kiss deepens, and Ryan is looking the most uncomfortable and unpleased I have ever seen him.

"It's nice to see you, Ashton." Julian nods though his eyes convey another story. "How have you been?"

"Good thanks. Nice to see you guys too." He turns to me, and whispers slowly, "You look really good, Maya."

My cheeks turns red, and I pick up the menu. "What are you ordering?"

"You know my order." I do.

The waitress comes over again. She smiles at Julian. "I didn't know you were staying."

"I am. I'd like a raspberry lemonade if you don't mind, Wendy."

"Of course, of course." She grins and flutters her eyelashes. Then she asks all of us, "And what would everyone like to order?"

Ryan asks for a steak and Wendy jots it down quickly. She waves her hand in Ash's direction and tells him that she knows what he'd like. Then she turns to Julian and I. My cousin gazes at me. I don't know what to get.

"Two burgers," he decides after an awkward pause. "One with chicken and the other just vegetables."

Wendy nods, and glances at me confused, but when I don't say anything, she nods her head and leaves.

"You knew her?" Ryan speaks up first, glancing at Ashton. He wasn't the only one to notice Wendy's subtle flirting, which could have been mistaken for friendliness if I didn't understand the glance in her eyes too well.

"I know all my coworkers," Ashton responds.

"How long have you worked here?"

"Since I was fifteen. I only work in the summer now, because of college." Ashton swings his arm around my waist and pulls me closer to him. "Are you going to work with me, Maya? I keep forgetting to talk to my parents – maybe my shifts will be more interesting with you around."

I scoff. "Sure."

He dips his lips my ear, and with hot whispers he asks, "Wanna head outside?"

"Why?"

His smug smirk tells me all I need to know. I glare at him playfully.

I grumble quiet enough so that Julian and Ryan can't hear me, "Not now, Ashton. Stop acting like a teenage boy for a second." However, I think they do end up hearing because Julian and Ryan exchange a long glance.

Julian then pesters him questions. Ashton drops his arms from around me as they fall into discussion about college and courses and work and his parents. Ash wants my family to like him, but I'm not sure if his entrance was the best execution then. Not only that, but he did not make the best first impression with Ryan when he came over to mine for the first time.

Then our food arrives. Ashton talks with Wendy more, but the conversation is brief. I think Ashton is naturally flirtatious and it does not bother me, even though it should. I know he likes me. He wants me to be his girlfriend. I'm secure with that.

Wendy passes Julian and I our burgers. "The chicken one for me," he says politely. And then a large plate of food is sat in front of me. Greasy, oily food. High calories. I can't control it.

My eyes flicker to Julian. He's watching me carefully and closely. If I wait too long, he'll cut my food and that will be too embarrassing. I know I'm exaggerating internally though, because he wouldn't, but the way he's looking at me leaves me doubtful. I haven't eaten all day and he knows this. I shouldn't have agreed to this lunch, even though it was my idea in the first place. It is all my fault. I keep causing this.