ii

The afternoon before we head into town is slow and uneasy.

Julian grows restless at my excuses. He's baked lasagne for some reason, and I'd rather not eat it. My cousin's a good cook but he knows it will be a push to try something he doesn't usually make. His excuse is that he wants to use more ingredients before we go out and buy more food. We usually settle on pasta and tomatoes, but he's taken his time with meat and different vegetables.

He pushes me further this afternoon than most afternoons. I give up. As I usually do. I go to my room and Julian follows quickly after me.

He apologises through the closed door. "We can go now," he speaks with hushed, sad words. "Sorry."

I should be the one apologising but he always ends up doing so.

"I'll get the car started," Julian then announces, and he leaves.

I join him, a minute after. I ignore his curious eyes and pull my hoodie down so he can't see my face. I end up falling asleep, so the two-hour car ride is faster. When I open my eyes, Julian hums a song that I do not know, and he glances at me.

"Morning sleeping beauty," he snickers.

"Shut up," I grumble and sit up straight. "How far away are we?"

"Not long."

"Can I drive?"

Julian thinks about it. "Sure, the drive back."

I'm satisfied and get comfortable. I don't pick up a book because I get car sick when I read whilst Julian drives. He isn't a bad driver, though. He's actually quite good.

When we arrive at the town, I stretch my legs and take in the air. Our journeys are as fast as they happen. We do not stay for long and grab everything we need before we go back. They know Julian's name. He's young and good-looking enough for people to talk about him when we enter the store. It's a tight town where everyone knows each other, and I know they have wild assumptions about us. We ignore them.

Julian heads to buy the groceries first. He has a list on his phone, and I follow him. He's talkative between the aisles and always has something to say. He fills the loud when I become quiet.

We go to the bookstore. Julian selects five books. I pick three and he makes fun of me because he bets that I won't finish them. He's probably right, I won't.

Before I think we'll leave, Julian points at the diner. "Do you want to grab something?"

"I'm not hungry."

"I am," Julian insists but I know he isn't because he ate both mine and his servings of lasagne, not wanting anything to go to waste. "C'mon, May. Like old times. Remember that small diner we'd go to after school?"

"You don't need to remind me." I could remember. I remember it all too well.

I end up following Julian, and I regret it the moment we enter. Eyes fall on us, wondering and curious eyes with questions of who we are. Those who know our faces want to know everything about us. To fuel the rumours. I guess that there isn't much they can talk about. They want more to talk about.

We sit down in a booth by the long window and Julian taps the menu.

A boy appears to take our order. I don't glance up until he speaks.

His nametag tells me his name is Ashton. His eyes are dark, wild, and slightly rough.

"What can I get you two?" he asks, and I notice how he does not have an accent like the locals. I think Julian notices too.