14: My Other Half

Adele's POV:

Luckily, we got to the private estate before the paparazzi arrived. However, approximately 30 minutes later, the front gate was flooded with people. I still can't fathom the fact that these types of situations aren't illegal; it's private property.

Lia has been in her room for the past two hours, and she hasn't come out yet. I've tried to go in, but every time I knock on the door, there is no response.

"How's she doing?" Simon asked as he walked into the kitchen, seeing that I was deep in thought.

"Not good," I said with a sigh. He walked towards me and wrapped his arms around my waist, trying to comfort me. "Earlier, she seemed okay-ish in the car, but I think it's sinking in for her now." I buried my face into his chest.

"Don't worry, she'll get through it." I felt his deep voice vibrate through his chest.

"I have no doubt that she will, but I think it's going to take a bit of time before she actually shows her face in public again." I said, keeping my head against his chest. He rested his chin on top of my head, and I heard him let out a deep sigh.

"I think we should all just stay home for this week, including Angelo." Simon suggested. I didn't have any work to do, and I'm sure that Lia wouldn't want to go anywhere either, so maybe it wasn't a bad idea.

"I like that idea, but Angelo can't miss a whole week of school." I said, lifting my head up to look into his eyes.

"Why would I need to miss a week of school?" Angelo asked, coming around the bend of the corridor.

"Baby, quickly sit down." I separated from Simon and leaned my elbows onto the kitchen island. I took a deep breath before continuing.

"The public found out that your sister is my kid."

"What? How?" He asked shocked and concerned.

"An anonymous message was sent out."

"I heard something about that, but I thought it was just another 'rumour'. Wait so like, they actually know now, the press don't believe it's fake?"

"Someone leaked photos and a video of Lia and me arriving at James's house, and after what went down on my Instagram, people put two and two together. So we still haven't confirmed yet that she's my daughter, but the press are definitely going to make the assumption, so yeah, they don't believe it's fake." I said while trying to calm myself down because anger was building up inside of me again.

"Well, you guys could also just not confirm it." He suggested. "It's not that easy, Peanut." I said, while combing my fingers through hair.

"Mum, I told you not to call me that anymore." He whined as he fixed his hair. "Sorry, baby." I chuckled.

"Well, I think we should just leave Lia alone for a bit, let her comprehend everything." Simon said.

"I think that's a good idea."

And that's what we did. We left her alone, which resulted in her being locked up in her room for 2 days straight. She hasn't eaten or drunk anything yet, and I could also imagine showered or even worse, gotten out of her bed. I'm getting a little wor- no, I'm lying. I'm very worried about her.

The news channels and internet have blown up with the leaked video, photos, and interview. People are asking why the show never continued after the 'short break' that James announced before we left the studio. I also tried to stay off social media, but the little bit that I saw was ugly. Lia's album was trending but for the wrong reasons. People were saying that her album is only trending and becoming a success because of me, and that was the last thing I wanted. I know for a fact that Lia has been on her phone throughout these 2 days, reading what these people are saying and I know that's not good for her mental health.

I decided that this depressive cycle was going to end today. I walked upstairs to her room and just stood in front of her door, building up the confidence to actually knock. I take a deep breath before I brought my fist up. I knock on the door 3 times and gently say, "Lia." It was already 11 am, so it was likely that she was awake, but she didn't respond though. "Bubs." I knocked again. I was getting a little worried this time. It only occurred to me now that she might've actually done something to herself.

"Bubs." I started to pound on the door feeling panicked. "Li!" I shouted, my breath becoming hitched, and my heart almost beating out of my chest.

"Lia Blue Adkins! If you don't respond to me right now, I am kicking this door open-"

"I'm right here." I heard a faint whisper. "Thank goodness." I said as I leaned my back against the door and holding my racing heart. I slowly slid down against the door, trying my best to calm myself down from my panicked state.

Lia's POV:

"Li, please open the door." Mum said faintly. I tilted my head back against the door and hugged my knees. I tried my best to hold the tears back, but I miserably failed.

"Please." I heard her whisper.

"Mum, I'm fine." I said, trying to sound confident, but the crack in my voice gave it away.

"Honey, I know you're not okay and I don't expect you to be. This is a very f*cked up situation, but you don't need to go through this alone. I've given you two days to yourself, but now I want my baby back."

A small smile spread across my face. I did miss Mum's hugs; they really are the best.

"Okay fine, I'll only let you in under one condition." I said sternly, quickly wiping the tears.

"Anything." She almost sounded desperate, which made me feel even more loved.

"We do not speak a word about the situation."

"Deal-"

"And we have to cuddle on my bed, listening to the rain pouring outside." I quickly cut her off.

"Double deal." She responded quickly.

I slowly get up and unlock the door. Mum almost immediately comes in and engulfs me in a warm and loving hug. She kisses my forehead numerous times and says, "I've missed my other half." And it was almost as if everything in the world was okay again.

"Now lock the door. We don't want the boys disturbing us, do we?" Mum said cheekily.

"No, we don't." I giggled and locked the door quickly. After I made sure the door was securely locked again, I started running towards my bed, leaping into the air and bouncing on the mattress as I landed on my stomach. I motioned for Mum to come and lay down next to me, but she shook her head.

"Nah ah ah, I'm not cuddling with a stinky bum that hasn't showered in two days." Mum said with her arms crossed. I gasped overdramatically and threw a pillow at her, "I have showered!"

"Yeah, three days ago. Don't even try to lie to me

." She said trying to be serious, but ultimately failing when she started giggling.

"Ugh, fine." I dragged my feet all the way to the bathroom, really feeling sorry for myself.

As I got in the shower, everything that has happened the last two days started rushing into my mind, but before I could even start to cry about it, I heard Mum shout from my bed, "And don't you even dare become depressive about it again."

How the hell did she know? "I don't know what you're talking about." My voice echoed in a singing tone through the bathroom walls.

"Ah ha, okay darling." I heard Mum sarcastically reply. This woman just knows me too well; it's actually scary. I don't even think Alison knew me this well. This proves that she is truly my other half.