Chapter 27 - Y/N

Dad showed me to my room which was in between Wanda and Nat's. I sat down on my bed and thought. I thought about Pietro. I didn't think that there was much else to think about. Everything raced through my mind. I sighed, falling down onto the soft mattress. Wanda came in and sat down beside me. "We all have to meet in the main room. I don't know why." She got up and waited for me at the door. I noticed her eyes were red from crying, I suspected that mine were the same. We walked out together, our silence matching in grief. We walked through the door and sat down next to Nat. Bruce came in from the medical lab and the rest of the Avengers were already there. Standing in silence.

"Ok," Steve started "I know we've lost people, some closer to us than others." He looked at Wanda and I. "But I've decided to expand the team. This is Sam for those who don't know." A tall man with chocolate skin and muscular arms walked in, his military haircut closely cropped to his head.

"Hey." He said to all of us. I nodded back politely at him as the rest of them responded.

"Vision, Rhodey, Wanda, you are all now official Avengers." Steve said to all of them. Wanda looked up at him, straightening her back, saying nothing.

"Congrats." I whispered, Nat looked at her and smiled.

"Ok, so we're getting another party right?" Dad asked

Steve sighed, my mouth twitched. Steve wasn't a fan of Dad's parties and at this moment neither was I. "Yes, I suppose so."

"Great, it's in two days, 8pm. Got that everyone?" Dad asked. We all nodded. Nat, Wanda and I all walked out with the rest of them.

"So." Nat started

"So?" I questioned, my throat was dry from silence.

"Do you have clothes for the party?" Nat said, as if it was obvious.

"I probably won't go so it doesn't matter." I replied quietly, Wanda nodded.

"It's sick, my brother died a few hours ago and they all expect us to move on?" Wanda said, angrily, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"Come on, you've gotta come. It's a party in celebration of you, Wanda and Y/N, Tony will want you there. You don't have to stay long, only an hour. Just...just turn up." Nat asked gently.

"Fine, 1 hour. Then I'm leaving." I compromised numbly. I looked at Wanda, she agreed.

"Well do you have dresses then?"

"No."

"No."

"Fine, then we need to go shopping. We have about 3 hours before dinner, that's more than enough time." Nat said to herself. "Let's go."

The shopping centre was crowded but decently quiet if you could find the right place. We walked into the dress shop and started looking. I didn't want an amazing dress, just something that got the job done. I said this to Nat, she looked at me

"Look, please put some effort in for tonight, if you do that for me then we can all have a sleepover in my room tomorrow." I sighed.

"Why do you have to know me so well?" I mumbled.

"I'm your best friend, it's my job." Nat smiled comfortingly.

I started browsing, trying to find something I liked and doing it properly this time. A single dress caught my eye. It was simple, yet elegant with a short skirt and bell sleeves. It was Y/F/C and had a flattering silhouette with an open back that tied together at the neck. It was pretty. Wanda, who had picked a delicate burgundy dress that reached her calves, noticed me admiring it.

"Try it on, I'm sure you'll look lovely regardless." She said softly.

I smiled briefly and wandered over to the dressing room, slipping the dress on. I looked in the mirror. I smiled, the first time since Pietro. It felt nice. To feel pretty. I walked out, my bare feet sticking to the cool tiles of the shop. Nat looked at me and grinned, Wanda gave me a small smile, I returned it.

"I like this one."

"You should, you look gorgeous." Nat replied, "Come on, I stole your Dad's credit card so we don't have to pay."

I sighed through my nose as the redhead walked over to the counter to buy our dresses.