Chapter 26 - Y/N

A ship flew over us, shooting relentlessly. Ultron. I dived under a pile of rubble, watching Clint as he turned around, protecting the child that he left the hanger to save. I screamed at him to move. Pietro then came round the corner, I felt the blood drain from my face as I stopped breathing predicting it a second before it happened. I screamed as Pietro ran in front of them , taking the shots for them. I ran over, my face already wet with tears, my body already numb. Everything around me went silent, my ears blocking everything out as I stared at Pietro's face. It happened so fast, my body didn't register what had happened quickly enough. I heard Wanda scream with me, her grief far outweighing mine.

"You didn't see that coming?" He said to Clint. I knelt down beside him, stroking his face gently. "Printsessa?" Pietro whispered hoarsely.

"Yeah Blondie?"

"You know I'm not a fan of that nickname?." I sniffed a laugh as I listened

"All the reason to use it more." I whispered, trying desperately not to cry.

"I think..."He struggled to speak, I stayed silent, gripping his hands. "I think I love you."

My breath hitched, my heart stopped. Pietro Maximoff. Who had quickly become one of my best friends, with whom I had bantered with endlessly, who had annoyed me into liking him. Pietro Maximoff who loved me. Was lying on the floor, very nearly dead.

"I think I love you too." I whispered back, cupping his cheek and kissing him.

My mind exploded, with guilt, grief, ecstasy. Is this what bittersweet was? I didn't know, I didn't care. His lips were soft, his hands gently holding my arm. I looked at him as he slumped, his life slipping through my fingers. I screamed again. I screamed his name, begging him to wake up. I stroked his silver hair, his perfect face. I ripped up my hood, stuffing the scraps into the wounds to try and stem the bleeding. He wasn't dead, just unconscious. He wasn't dead. Not dead. He wasn't. He couldn't die. Not now. I clung onto his body, sobbing. Clint pulled me off him gently, Steve checked his pulse.

"Get him back!" I yelled desperately "You have to get him back, please get him back!" Clint folded me into his arms, I shook violently. I tore free of his grip, running to Wanda.

She was kneeling down on the floor of a train, shaking, weeping uncontrollably. Next to her was Ultron, dead. I knelt down beside her as she turned to me. I held her, both of us overridden with grief. Wanda screamed again, and started hitting me "You should have saved him!"She raged, her tears flying everywhere "You should have saved him, why didn't you save him. Why? Why why?" She sobbed again. I took it, her grief, her anger. I deserved it. I knew I did. Pietro was dead and it was my fault. Nat ran in, taking in the sight of Wanda and I. She walked over and took mine and Wanda's hands. She said softly

"Let's go."

We walked to the ship. I stumbled on, staring at everything. Nat stopped and gently helped Wanda and I sit down. I did so, staring. I stared at his body. Cap had carried him on. He was so still, so lifeless. It wasn't like him, not to be still, he was always moving. Never once did he fully stop. I turned away, forcing my eyes to look anywhere else. My pulse was racing, I felt like I was going to be sick. I was sweating. I caught a glimpse of myself in the metal. My face was pale and waxy, my lips were a greyish colour. I supposed I was in shock.

I felt a sudden jolt. Sokovia was falling. I looked out, trying to find my dad. I couldn't speak, my mouth didn't want to. I could only look out at the sky, hoping for something. Then I heard him through comms. My body sagged with relief. Lights came up through the island of Sokovia. This was what the core was doing. Lightning erupted from the centre, that was Thor.

"NOW!" Dad yelled through comms. I heard the God's roar from above and covered my ears as the flying Sokovia was blasted into pieces. Ash covered the sky, blue light cracked through it. I tried to spot Dad but I couldn't. I could only hope that his suit protected him.

When we landed, I stood up. My body was lethargic and didn't want to move. We arrived at the new Avenger facility within about an hour thanks to the hanger's impressive speed. I stumbled out, reaching Dad and falling into a hug. He had got here before all of us in his suit. He gently stroked my back and whispered "Wanna talk?" I shook my head into his shoulder, I couldn't. Not yet. We walked in. Dad looked at me and whispered "I've got you a room here and at the other place. You can choose where you want to stay. You can also do some switcharoos and bounce about. Although you might wanna make one a bit more permanent."

I smiled weakly and nodded.