60 | petals; the floating illusion

Start from the beginning

Kaden blinked, petals falling around him and no doubt tangled with his hair—the petals seemed to possess a strange, clingy quality.

He was reminded of a certain cat and young boy.

The dragon leaned back, satisfied. "It suits you." He returned.

Niklas snickered, opening his mouth, "You know what they say, don't bite if you don't expect to be bitten in return—"

As he spoke, Kaden and Noah had exchanged a glance and the latter helped scoop more flowers, while the former dumped them over his friend's head. A few fluttered into Niklas wide, talkative mouth.

"—cough!"

The cheerful man gasped, choking slightly before his cheeks started to move, mimicking a chewing action. Surprise turned into contemplation, which melted into satisfaction.

"...you're eating it." Kaden said. Then, as if once wasn't enough, he repeated, "You're eating it."

Niklas swallowed. "That I am. It tastes... very unique. A subtle taste that becomes stronger as it lingers, melting against your tongue. You might like it." He dragged his tongue over his teeth, thoughtful. "Velvety, smooth."

Kaden frowned, a little curious. "Really?"

"Yes, really. It's an exquisite taste." Niklas grinned. "Curious?"

"It's petals that were on the floor, Niklas. I'm not in such dire states to eat them."

"You only live once. It's a little gross, but think about it like, you know vegetables? They grow out of the ground, so you're basically eating earth babies, dirt that's been touched and stepped on by so many people—"

"Stop. Also, that really doesn't make sense?"

"I personally don't dislike the taste. It's unique." He winked at Noah, a wink that seemed more like a bug flew into his eye. The dragon raised an eyebrow. "Just take the ones that fell on the table, they're clean. Noah, try one and tell him? Or Professor, don't you know about the taste?"

Raymond pushed up his glasses. "In fact, I am aware. However, Mr. Astors, I do believe the petals here are said to be extremely spi—" Faced with Niklas' one-eyed spasms, the professor seemed to realize something. "Spectacular. Yes, correct."

Noah sighed as he watched, lightly picking up a petal on the table. He placed it against his tongue and for the tiniest of seconds, his eyebrows furrowed an inch more.

Then, calmly, he agreed. "It's delicious."

Kaden stared at him pointedly. "I'm pretty sure I saw your eyebrows twitch."

"You're wrong, Kaden, Noah's face is in a position of permanently frowning. His eyebrows are always furrowed. They just moved when he chewed, you know?"

Noah glanced at Niklas. The other just smiled sneakily.

"Take a handful Kaden, it's really a special taste. Come on, why would I lie to you? You're the only one I wouldn't lie to."

"Ridiculous."

"Well. It's your loss. Prof, sorry for the interruption, you can continue now."

Kaden stared deeply at the petals on the table, now plagued by curiosity and he just knew there had to be some trick, but what if there wasn't, and what if he was missing out a once in a lifetime taste?

Niklas suppressed another snicker. "Hey friend, you're looking a little constipated, need a break? I do believe the washrooms are--"

"One of these days Niklas—"