Chapter 66: Growing Concerns.

Whisper pov:

I wake up slowly, feeling really drowsy, and a bit sore. I slowly open my eyes, and look at my surroundings. I see improvised medical stations, multiple cots lined up in a row, and a few people laying in them. It looks like a field hospital... I see a doctor walking nearby, and she notices that I'm awake. As she walks over, I look around, and see my cloak and mask on a chair nearby. As I reach for them, the wisps pop out of their capsules on my cloak, eager to see me. I smile at their affection, and pull them into a hug. "Hey guys..."

"How are you feeling?" I hear the doctor speak. I turn to her, grabbing my mask and putting it on. "Fine." She reaches for my mask, and I back away instinctively. "Please, I need to check your pupils for dilation." Her voice is soft and patient, as if trying to understand my situation to some degree. I hesitate, and slowly pull the mask off my face. I always hated this part, the light hurts my eyes. "Dilation is a bit slower than normal, but you just woke up, so that could be why."

I sigh, and look down. My wound has been bandaged, but the blood still remains on my clothes. I sigh again. "How long until I can take a shower?" She thinks for a moment. "We can probably let you go in a few days, your intestines where hit, so we have to make sure there won't be any infection." "Great." I put my mask on, and lay down again, turning away. I hear the doctor speak once more. "For what it's worth, I'm really sorry this happened to you..." I nod. "Thank you."

She walks away, and I close my eyes. I hear Orange speak behind me. "Whisper?" "Yes?" He hesitates a bit. "We're really sorry..." "Don't be, it wasn't your fault." "Are you mad..?" I sigh, and roll over to look at them. "I'm not mad, at least not at you... I'm just mad at myself, and tired. I should have seen that coming, I'm supposed to know how Mimic operates..." Cyan then speaks up. "It's okay, you didn't mean for this to happen, and if you're tired, you should sleep..."

"Not that kind of tired, I'm just... tired of always having to chase after him... But i know that if I turn my back, that's when he'll attack..." All of the wisps hug me again, and I feel myself starting to cry. No! I cannot cry! No... stop it Whisper! You cannot cry in front of them! Oh dammit...

I feel tears fall down my face as I begin to sob quietly. The wisps get closer as I do, and I hug back tightly. "I love you guys so much..." They make happy noises, and all speak in unison. "We love you too, Whisper!"

With Sonic and Jewel:

As Sonic walks into Jewels office, she looks over at him with curiosity, and a slight hint of concern. "How are Y/N and Whisper?" She asks Sonic. "Whisper's in the medbay, and Y/N already left again." She nods, and looks at her phone. "Did you see Tangle with them at all?" Sonic shakes his head. "No, I tried asking him where she was, but I think he's still mad at me."

Jewel looks a bit confused. "Still mad? What happened?" Sonic tells her how he and Y/N fought after Eggman escaped. She sighs, and leans back in her chair. "He's not wrong, you know." Sonic looks at her, a bit surprised. "What do you mean?" She stands up and walks towards him slowly.

"Well, a wise man once said, 'One sword keeps another in the sheath, sometimes by taking a life, others can be spared.'" Sonic chuckles a bit. "I assume you didn't call me here to discuss philosophy, what do you actually need?" She sighs, and looks at her phone again. "I've tried calling Tangle at least ten times. Something is really wrong, and Y/N seems to know what to do, but he won't tell anyone. I... I just want you to follow him and see what's going on. Help him if you can, please?"

Sonic nods, and pats her shoulder. "Don't worry, I'll be like his guardian angel! And hey, it'll all be okay, I promise!" Jewel looks at him and smiles. "Thanks Sonic, you're the best." He smiles to her, and blasts out of the room.

Jewel sighs, and sits back down, looking at her phone again. She picks it up, and dials Y/N's number, waiting as the phone rings. Eventually, it goes to his voicemail. She sighs, and dials Tangles number again. It doesn't even ring, it goes straight to voicemail. Jewel drops the phone, and lays her head down on her desk.

"Please come back safe, you idiots..."

A/N: Thanks for over 12k reads on this story! I mean, the first chapter alone has over 1k reads. Thats kinda nuts! OK moving on from the boring stuff, it turns out I'm an idiot, (big surprise.) and I missed one of the drawings that Alan-Bars made, so here it is!

) and I missed one of the drawings that Alan-Bars made, so here it is!