"Believe whatever you want," he retorted, his tone carrying a hint of indifference. "You were always meant to be mine. If this damn insect hadn't interfered, I would've claimed you four years ago." He paused, his gaze intense. "Now, you're finally where you belong."

Insect... Ansel.

The harsh truth settled over me, a dense fog of reality enveloping my thoughts. Today was supposed to be the day of my departure from this country.

What about Uncle George and Alex? They must have noticed my absence by now. Would they search for me? Could they possibly trace my whereabouts?

No, this couldn't be real. I couldn't stand to be in his presence. I began to struggle, desperate to break free from his grip.

A sharp pang shot through my shoulder, but the danger of his closeness was more pressing than the physical discomfort. He tightened his hold on my wrist, rendering me motionless.

His face hovered above mine. "Stop moving. You're only hurting yourself."

"Don't act like you care," I shot back with venom.

A deep growl rumbled from his chest, startling me into immobility. His eyes, a striking shade of gold, locked onto mine. "Your mark won't heal properly like this. Certainly not with the shit you're applying on it."

I stared at him, my expression devoid of emotion.

"I cleaned it because I couldn't stand the smell," he clarified. "Now, let me tend to it."

"Have you suddenly become a doctor?" I retorted. "I don't need your help."

He kept his gaze fixed on me. "Only mates can tend to the wound left by marking," he explained patiently, his tone resembling that of a teacher instructing a child.

"I'm not your mate," I asserted firmly.

"Believe what you want," he responded, his head tilting as he examined the wound on my shoulder.

"Your first mark was left untreated, and the wound deepened after the second marking," he paused, his eyes locked onto mine. "My venom is circulating in your veins. If I don't tend it now, you might lose your arm. Is that what you want?" he asked.

"So, whose fault is that?" I retorted, my anger flaring. "Who marked me both times without my consent?"

"You're incredibly stubborn," he chided, his voice tinged with disapproval. Unexpectedly, he leaned in and pressed his lips to the mark he had left on my shoulder.

An electric tingle shot through my body, from head to toe, reaching the very core of me. I gasped in response to his touch.

Instinctively, I attempted to lift my arm and shift my shoulder away, but his grip on my wrist was unwavering. Without warning, his warm tongue swept over the mark, moistening the spot as he suckled it gently.

The sensation was a mix of surprise and intensity, sending a shiver down my spine. An involuntary moan escaped my lips, a combination of surprise and an unnameable feeling I couldn't quite grasp.

His actions caught me off guard, igniting a storm of emotions within me.

"Stop," I whimpered, my voice trembling. "Don't touch me."

I knew it was because of the fucking mate bond.

However, he seemed to disregard my plea, his tongue once again swirling over the mark, accompanied by a groan of his own. The tingling sensation heightened, causing my body to respond with a rush of feelings that left me feeling lightheaded. An unfamiliar ache pulsed between my legs, leaving me confused and overwhelmed.