CHAPTER- 36

Ace POV:

The brightness of the hospital room hit me hard, making my eyes squint in irritation.

I blinked a few times, trying to adjust to the harsh light that felt like needles piercing through my skull.

My head throbbed with a dull ache, and I reached up instinctively, feeling the cold touch of the IV needle and wires connected to my body.

Glucose dripped slowly from a bag beside the bed, feeding into my veins.

I hate this shit.

A sigh escaped my lips as I tried to calm the erratic rhythm of my breathing.

My thoughts were a mess, fragmented and blurry as I attempted to piece together how I had ended up here.

The sterile smell of antiseptic filled my nostrils, and it only made me feel more out of place.

"You're awake," a nurse's cheerful voice broke through the haze, her overly bright demeanor grating on my nerves.

Why the hell is she so happy?

I glared at her as she bustled around the room, checking my vitals.

Before I could respond, the door swung open, and I saw my friends— Aiden, Hudson, Liam, Alex, Susan, and Felix— entering the room.

And there, trailing behind them, was Iris. My heart clenched painfully at the sight of her.

What the fuck is going on?

"Gosh, you look like shit," Aiden said with a smirk, his tone a mix of concern and teasing.

"So comforting," I muttered, rolling my eyes.

The doctor walked in shortly after, giving me a quick once-over.

"He's all right now, just needs to take some rest," the doctor declared before turning to leave.

But I noticed Iris following him out of the room, her eyes clouded with worry.

I frowned, still disoriented. "How did I get here?" I asked, my voice rasping as I tried to clear the dryness from my throat.

Hudson stepped closer, adjusting the pillow behind my back with a gentleness that caught me off guard.

I glanced at him, confusion evident in my gaze.

"Iris found you lying on the road, beaten up," Alex replied, his tone flat, as if he were simply stating a fact.

"Iris? But she left that time," I said, trying to recall the events leading up to this moment as I took a sip of water.

"Yeah, but she came back," Liam added, his voice quiet, almost as if he was trying not to disturb the fragile atmosphere in the room.

"So yeah, she saved your ass," Susan chimed in, folding her arms across her chest.

Her words made my stomach twist with an emotion I couldn't quite identify.

Anger? Guilt? I wasn't sure, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Ivan's voice echoed in my mind, cruel and menacing. "You know if Iris stayed this time with you, I would have killed her by now, but I guess she's lucky tonight."

My throat tightened, and I struggled to swallow the lump forming there.

"How long have I been in the hospital?" I managed to ask, my voice barely above a whisper.