Chapter 34: Investigation

Začít od začátku

"We're not playing, sir," Yukiharu-kun suddenly interjected. "There's going to be a trial at school in two days and our friend could be expelled for it. That's why we need to look at the place where the accident occurred."

"Trial?" the man looks confused. "What trial?"

"There's a possibility that this might not be an accident so they held a trial to determine whether our friend is guilty or not. You know, like the real trial. If it's not an accident, then somebody might get expelled..." Yukiharu-kun explained clearly. I hope the guy isn't too confused.

"This school does that?"

"...Well, our school is unique."

"Man, schools these days really like weird stuff, huh," I didn't deny it. I'm still having a hard time getting used to the system at this school. Not to mention there's still a lot we don't know. "But sorry, I still can't let you guys in just like that. Maybe you could call your teacher..."

"What's this Yagi?" another man came up to us. Just like the others he also wore a helmet but underneath his white jacket, he also wore a neat shirt and tie. It seemed that this person was the foreman.

"Abe-san. These kids wanted to see the scaffolding ladder...they said they wanted to investigate the accident two days ago..."

The foreman named Abe-san looked at us with a serious face. I became uncomfortable because of it. It looks like today we will have to return to no avail.

The foreman sighed and then said to his workers. "Let them have a look around for a bit..."

The worker named Yagi-san was surprised, and so were we. Yagi-san asked again to confirm. "Are you serious Abe-san?"

"Yeah, ten minutes ago I got a call from one of the teachers. They asked us to leave these kids alone for a while. They said this was part of the lesson or something, heh...seriously, what's up with that..."

I exchanged glances with Rika-chan and then with Yukiharu-kun. I didn't know that the teacher would ask permission for us. How did they know we'd be here?

"Take them to the scaffolding Yagi and please keep an eye on them," the foreman then glanced our way. "Don't be long, children. We're still busy so don't try wandering around here."

I hastily lowered my head. "Yes, we will try not to interfere. Thank you very much, sir."

I don't know if he heard me because the foreman just walked away. After that Yagi-san led us to the scaffold in question without saying much. It is indeed located on the side of the building facing the road. We can still see the field from here, although it is somewhat blocked by trees.

"That's the scaffolding ladder," Yagi-san pointed out. "Go on and take a look, I will sit here and you have time until my break is over."

"Okay, we understand," I said, and Yagi san then sat down on a pile of sandbags taking out a cigarette. Yukiharu-kun had already walked towards the scaffolding and looked at the stairs and then the ground around him.

The scaffolding was built in a zigzag shape and was attached to a wall about twelve meters high. Yukiharu-kun watched the steps carefully one by one as we walked towards him. As we approached he pointed at one of the steps. "Look, there's a bit of blood on these steps."

Me and Rika-chan approached and saw the stairs he pointed at. It was true that there was a small spot of dried blood at the end of the third step from the bottom. The other steps look clean.

"I hope this is the blood of the victim, and not that of some unlucky worker who slipped," said Yukiharu-kun.

"Then I'll ask," said Rika-chan who then turned and approached Yagi-san.