Chapter Fifty-Nine

Depuis le début

"But I don't think I can be a queen. Ruling a kingdom takes so much. It takes someone who never makes mistakes and always knows just what to do. Someone who is strong and brave and does everything right. Someone who's not me."

"Well I'm no expert on how the monarchy works but surely there must be more to the royal title than that. I mean look at who we have for a queen now, she does nothing right. Not to mention she's vain, selfish, and cruel."

"Oh believe me, I'm not saying that she's the better option. But I can't be the one to take her place. I don't know the first thing about being a leader and to be honest, I never really wanted any of that in the first place. All I want is to live a simple life with my friends and my family and people who are kind to me. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?"

"Of course not." Millie assured her. "Just because you're a king's daughter, doesn't mean you're not a person with the same wants and dreams as any other commoner. Blitzo says that's the problem with many humans. They have a habit of thinking that only certain people are allowed to be imperfect. That royals and nobles can't have feelings or ever be afraid and unhappy. That bad things can't ever happen to them or that they can't make a few mistakes form time to time. Or to just simply want to love and be loved."

"But it's selfish of me isn't, it?" Charlotte sighed, feeling a little ashamed. "Knowing how my stepmother treats everyone and me being too cowardly to do anything to stop her."

"I think it's perfectly natural and understandable to feel this way. And right now, what in the world could you possibly do to stop her? You don't have an army or any special powers. If you were to barge into the castle right now, and demand the throne, you'd probably be killed in three seconds flat. It would be foolish for you to try something right now."

"So I'm not a coward for hiding like this?"

"There's an old saying 'Part of the happiness of life consists not in fighting battles, but in avoiding them. A masterly retreat is in itself a victory.' However there's another one that says 'The essence of fighting is the art of moving at the right time.' In other words it's wise to seek a peaceful solution first, but if a battle cannot be avoided, then be sure to strike at the right time and that will require patience. You're by no means a coward for hiding Charlotte, you're just waiting for the right time to intervene on your people's behalf."

Millie's words made Charlotte feel better but she felt that the alp was giving her too much credit. Charlotte really was afraid of someday facing her stepmother again and maybe someday becoming the new queen. For she knew that being the head state did not mean a life of ease and luxury, not for a true monarch. Becoming queen met that she would not sit to feast until her people were fed. That she would not rest until her people were safe. That from beggar to above, each member she would defend and serve. That each and every life rested in her hands, and if anyone's life was lost or led to misfortune, it would be on her head. She didn't know if she had the strength to be all that for her people.

For as long as she could remember, her stepmother had said that she was weak, pathetic, and useless. That she could never lead an army or fight in battle. That her kindness was not enough and that it was a wasted virtue, that her hopes and dreams were the musings of a fool, and that love was the greatest weakness of all.

"You have no strength! No ambition! Nothing!" She would say. "You will never be queen!"

Many times she believed her stepmother's words despite how much it hurt her. But other times she would remember something that Niffty had once said while comforting her.

"You are like your mother, her strength came from her heart. She never brandished a sword or fought in a war but she was the strongest and most courageous person I ever knew because she gave to others everything she had to give and always offered a tender touch to those who had been scorched by the world's cruelty. And at times, that's more than enough."

It was those words lingering in the back of her head, that would give her just a little ray of hope that maybe, just maybe her stepmother was wrong.

"One more stitch and there!" Millie said putting the finishing touches on the dress. She stood up from her chair and held it up for Charlotte to see. "Well? What do you think?"

The dress was very pretty and would suit someone like Charlotte very well. The garment consisted of a wide, yellow skirt, a pink corset and puffy, taffeta sleeves, all decorated with embroidered flowers and plants. The soft pink and the yellows would surely highlight Charlotte's pale complexion and her golden hair.

"Oh it's beautiful." Charlotte said looking over the dress, taking care to study each detail. "I love it, but are you sure it'll fit me?"

"Well I haven't made the alterations yet so try it on and I'll do some draping and pinning."

Millie made the dress fit Charlotte perfectly and when the time came for them to go down into the square to perform, she wore it proudly. The alps grabbed their instruments, Alastor threw on the dark cloak Millie made for him, and they hitched up the wagon for the trip.

Poor Alastor was so terribly nervous about tonight. Charlotte could tell from the way his ears occasionally twitched from underneath the hood of his cloak and it made her feel a little guilty. She didn't want to make him do something that would make uncomfortable but she knew the deep down he wanted this. A chance to join the world. To not have to hide away from it like a pariah. She saw it growing up, every time she would ask him to join her and Vagatha on their trips into town and he'd say no, but there would be a longing in his eyes. A longing to go out strolling on the street, to freely walk about like an ordinary person, to be apart of the happy crowds. She knew he wanted that more than anything.

She didn't care how different he was, he had as much right to be in the world as everyone else and she was going to see to that.

"It'll be alright." She assured him with a gentle grasp to his hand. "I promise."

He smiled softly and blushed a little underneath the hood, grateful that she couldn't see.

"I hope so." He told her. "I really hope so."