The Man With Two Faces And Goodbye Hogwarts

"You!" Harry gasped.

Quirrell grinned malevolently at the two.

"Me." He said calmly. "I wondered whether I'd be meeting the both of you here, Potter and Scamander."

"You're not stuttering." Seth acknowledged. "Your the real thief! Not Snape."

"But I thought," Harry began. "Snape-"

"Severus?" Quirrell laughed, it wasn't his usual quivering treble laugh, but cold and sharp. "Yes, Severus does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like an overgrown bat. Next to him, who would suspect p-p-poor, st-stuttering P-Professor Quirrell?"

Harry couldn't take it in. This couldn't be true, it couldn't.

"But Snape tried to kill us!"

"No, no, no. I tried to kill you both." Quirrel said. "Your friend Mrs. Granger, accidentally knocked me over as she rushed to set fire to Snape at that Quidditch match. She broke my eye contact with you both. Another few seconds and I'd would have gotten both of you off your brooms. I'd have managed it before then if Snape hadn't been muttering a counter curse, trying to save you two."

"Snape was trying to save us?" Seth asked.

"Of course." Quirrell said. "And what a waste of time....when after all that, I'm going to kill you tonight."

Quirrell snapped his fingers, and suddenly, ropes materialized out of thin air, tightly binding Harry and Seth.

"Your both too nosy to live, Potter and Scamander. Scurrying around the school on Halloween like that, for all I knew you'd both seen me coming to look at what was guarding the Stone."

"You let the troll in!" Seth shouted. "You almost killed Hermione!"

"Silence Scamander!" Quirrell said while he made the ropes wrap themselves tighter around Seth.

"Now, as I was saying. I have a special gift with trolls, you must have seen what did to the one in the chamber back there?" Quirrell said. "Unfortunately, while everyone else was running around looking for it, Snape, who already suspected me, went straight to the third floor to head me off and not only did my troll fail to beat you to death, that three-headed dog didn't even manage to bite Snape's leg off properly."

"His name is Fluffy!" Seth bellowed.

"Now, wait quietly, you both! I need to examine this interesting mirror." Quirrell said.

Only at that moment did Harry and Seth come to the realization of what stood behind Quirrell: the Mirror of Erised.

"This mirror is the key to finding the Stone." Quirrell muttered, tapping his way around the frame. "Trust Dumbledore to come up with something like this...but he's in London...I'll be far away by the time he gets back..."

Seth discreetly caught Harry's eye and silently conveyed, "We have to distract him."

"I saw you and Snape in the corridor." Harry blurted out.

"Yes," Quirrell replied, circling the mirror to inspect its rear. "He was on to me by that time, trying to find out how far I'd got. He suspected me all along. Tried to frighten me as though he could, when I had Lord Voldemort on my side...." Quirrell came back out from behind the mirror and stared hungrily into it. "I see the stone! I'm presenting it to my master, but where is it!?"

Harry and Seth were still struggling against the ropes that were binding them, but they weren't going to give up. They had to keep Quirrell from giving his whole attention to the mirror.

"But we heard you a few days ago, sobbing. We thought Snape was threatening you...."

For the first time, a spasm of fear flitted across Quirrell's face.