The Sorting Hat And A New Friend

The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes and with a very stern face stood there.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall." Hagrid said.

"Thank you Hagrid, I will take them from here." She said as she pulled the door wide open.

The entrance hall was so big and The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors. They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor.

Seth could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right-the rest of the school must already be here, but Professor McGonagall showed the first years into a small, empty chamber off the hall. They crowded in, standing rather closer together than they would usually have done. The good thing about it was that Seth finally managed to find Harry and Ron and so he and Hermione went towards them and stood by their sides.

"Welcome to Hogwarts." Professor McGonagall began. "Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."

Once Professor McGonagall ended her greeting, Neville spotted his toad near her feet.

"Trevor!" Neville cried out.

He dashed towards the professor to catch his pet, but realized what he had done.

"Sorry." He said quickly, feeling embarrassed.

"The sorting ceremony will begin shortly." McGonagall said, before walking through the large set of doors.

After a few moments, a young evil looking boy, with short blonde hair, speaks up.

"It's true then, what they were saying on the train." He said. "Seth Scamander and Harry Potter have come to Hogwarts.

Once the boy finished, the students began to whisper among themselves, discussing what they had just heard. Seth's discomfort grew as he sensed the direction the conversation was taking.

"This is Crabbe and Goyle." The boy said, introducing how two other friends.

He then approached Seth and Harry while introducing himself."And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

Ron snickers at his name, making Draco glare at him with a cold gaze.

"Think my name's funny, do you? I've no need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley." He said, making Ron annoyed. "You'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter and Scamander. You two don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there."

The boy smiled as he extended his hand to Seth and Harry. Harry then spoke on behalf of both of them before Seth had a chance to say anything.

"I think we can tell the wrong sort for ourselves, thanks." Harry said.

Draco's smile dropped as he glared at the two. McGonagall then returned and tapped Draco on the shoulder with a paper. He then left Harry and Seth with one last glare.

"We're ready for you now. Follow me." McGonagall said.

All the first years started to follow McGonagall and the large golden doors open to reveal an enormous room with candles floating around in the air and the night sky above them. Unbeknownst to Seth, a teacher with greasy black hair, a hooked nose and a pale skin observed him from a distance with a keen interest. The man's piercing black eyes followed Seth's every move.