Halloween Night And The Troll In The Dungeon

A month had gone by since Hermione's birthday, and now it was October 31st-Halloween. On that morning, the air was filled with the delightful scent of baking. Even better, Professor Flitwick announced during Charms class that he believed they were prepared to attempt making objects fly, a skill they had all been eager to try since witnessing him make Neville's toad zip around the room. To practice, Professor Flitwick assigned pairs to the students. Harry partnered with Seamus Fingmann, Ron with Hermione and Seth with Orion. Hermione was slightly disappointed since she had secretly hoped to be paired with Seth.

"One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation," Filtwick began. "The ability to make objects float. Do you have your feathers?"

Hermione quickly raised her feather.

"Good. Now, don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing, hmm?" He went on. "The swish and flick. Everyone."

Every student in the class started to do the same thing as Professor Filtwick.

"Swish and Flick." They all said.

"Good." Flitwick continued. "And enunciate. Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go then."

Seth and Orion began to practice their movements as much as they could. Seth was about to say the incantation again until his eyes fell on Ron and Hermione.

"Wingardium Leviosar!" Ron said as he then flicked his wand multiple times at the feather before Hermione held her hand out and stopped him.

"No, stop, stop, stop! You're going to take someone's eye out." Hermione exclaimed firmly. "Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's Levi-o-sa, not Leviosar."

"You do it, then, if you're so clever. Go on, go on." Ron said, feeling annoyed.

Hermione straightened herself and then did the exact same movements as Professor Flitwick had showed them.

"Wingardium Leviosa." She said, as her feather then flew up in the air.

Seth then looked at his own feather and did the same thing,

"Wingardium Leviosa." He said, his feather also flowing up in the room just like Hermione's.

"Oh, well done! See here, everyone!" Professor Flitwick cried out excitedly to the class. "Mr. Scamander and Mrs. Granger have done it!"

Annoyed by what he had just witnessed, Ron let his head fall onto his books. Out of nowhere, Seth heard an explosion at his right, startling the Professor. As he turned, he saw Seamus with ashes on his face and a burnt feather, leaving him taken aback.

I think we're going to need another feather over here, Professor." Harry said.

Everyone burst into laughter except for Seamus, who eventually joined in as well.

-

After the class ended, Harry, Ron, Seamus, and Dean exited the classroom together while Seth walked out with Orion as he scanned the area for Hermione. Overhearing Ron's animated conversation with Harry about Hermione, Seth couldn't help but notice how loudly Ron was speaking.

"It's Levioooosa, not Leviosaaaar." Ron mimicked. "She's a nightmare, honestly! No wonder she hasn't got any friends!"

Seth noticed Hermione had overheard Ron's words. She hurried past him, clutching her books, tears welling up as she sniffled.

"I think she heard you." Harry told Ron as Hermione disappeared into the crowd, deeply hurt by Ron's words.

Seth immediately apologized to Orion and chased after her without hesitation. Although he pursued her swiftly, he couldn't catch up before she darted into the girls' bathroom. Knowing he couldn't enter until it was empty, he entrusted Twig to watch over Hermione. He stood outside the bathroom as he listened to Hermione's cries throughout the afternoon. His heart shattered as he did.