Chapter 42: Close Combat

"The game begins!" the referee ninja exclaimed, leaping behind a thick protective wall alongside several examiners, ready to intervene and rescue any seriously injured contestants.

The excited roar of the audience echoed through the arena, igniting intense emotions among the ninjas. Their blood boiled with excitement, even Orochimaru, and his companions felt the rush.

"Why does this feel like a bullfight?" Orochimaru and the other ninjas spread out, with only him and Tsunade left as a team. Despite this slight disadvantage, Orochimaru remained composed.

Becoming a Chunin at the age of eight was a testament to one's exceptional talent. Currently, only Hatake Sakumo had achieved promotion at the age of seven. Most of the ninjas participating in the exam were underage and extremely nervous, especially those from smaller countries. The fear of the competition weighed heavily on them, making it hard for them to catch their breath.

"Attack!" Some ninjas from smaller countries were the first to take action. Clad in armor, they unsheathed their blades and charged at the nearest Konoha ninja.

"Itoken Ransen!" The leading ninja channeled Chakra into the hand and effortlessly dispatched the three attackers wearing masks and hoods.

This display was akin to the samurai's way of combat—swift, powerful, and tactical, exerting immense pressure on their opponents.

However, Orochimaru simply raised his sleeves, and immediately, a swarm of insects gathered, forming a black cloud that enveloped the attackers.

"What is this?!" The ninjas swung their swords desperately, but the bugs were nearly impervious to their attacks. Soon, the bugs found their way into their armor, causing the attackers to scream in agony and eventually collapse.

"Three down!" The referee ordered the removal of the incapacitated attackers.

"It seems the era of samurai is over." A few elder villagers sighed.

"Scoundrels, get back!" An Uchiha ninja yelled, his chakra surging to Chunin level. He quickly formed hand seals and released a massive fireball from his mouth.

"Ah! Help!"

Feeling the scorching heat and intense air, the participating ninjas hurriedly dodged. However, in the midst of the melee, some were unfortunate enough to get caught in the flames. Three small ninja families were engulfed in fire and had to be swiftly rescued from the arena by the invigilators.

The extensive damage caused by Fire Release, was often difficult to heal, and the chances were slim for these unlucky contestants. To avoid being caught in the flames, other ninjas seized the opportunity to attack. During the chaos, various ninjutsu and rain-like shuriken flew through the air, causing some unfortunate souls to be hit by stray projectiles and fall out of the competition.

At this point, the strength of the ninja clans shone. They were adept at both offense and defense, demonstrating their tactical prowess. Hyuga's Gentle Fist acted as an impenetrable defense at this level, swiftly incapacitating any opponent who dared to approach.

The Uchiha ninja, though powerful with their ninjutsu, became the target of public criticism. Nevertheless, they displayed exceptional prowess with their Sharingan, managing to fend off the non-clan ninjas until they retreated.

Everyone maintained a mutual understanding: first, eliminate the ninjas from other villages, then deal with the weaker civilian ninjas, and finally, proceed to the next round with the surviving contestants.

"Come on! Take down that kid with the machete!"

"Uchiha guys are strong! Burn those Land of Earth scum to ashes!"