Chapter 26: Study

Orochimaru had left a code name of "Dragon" within the black market. As time passed, this code name would transform into a legend within the underground world, attracting numerous ninjas, and even Shinobi villages.

For now, that's not the focus.

Orochimaru strolled leisurely, expanding his mental power, and unsurprisingly sensed the presence of two individuals.

A regular Chunin and an experienced Chunin were located several kilometers away from Orochimaru. This distance was almost imperceptible to an average Chunin, but these two could roughly ascertain Orochimaru's direction.

"You're quite audacious, daring to tail me even while knowing I am an Anbu!" Orochimaru sneered, thus sealing the fate of the two.

"Amuro, do you really think our current approach is effective? We're trailing too far behind. If that person truly is Anbu, they would surely have concealed their tracks," mumbled a black market operative.

"Quiet down, and focus!"

A ninja named Amuro trailed slowly with a black ninja dog.

Nervous and apprehensive, the ninja appeared as though he wouldn't have budged if not coerced.

"It's not the first time I've tailed a Jonin, but I've never seen Black Fang so jittery."

The auras emanating from Orochimaru and the lingering scent of Shiromari made the ninja dog shudder, yet humans were entirely unaware of it.

"Your dog is keener than its master!"

Suddenly, Orochimaru materialized on a treetop like a phantom, coldly surveying the duo below.

A bead of cold sweat dripped from their foreheads, and the two individuals, along with the dog, froze in their tracks. The atmosphere was so hushed it was unsettling.

How was this even possible?!

Exchanging glances, the pair lacked the courage to act or argue, fleeing in opposite directions.

Not to mention facing Jōnin, they wouldn't dare engage someone suspected of being a Konoha Anbu member.

Unbeknownst to the unfortunate pair, they had already been marked for disposal from the moment they initiated their pursuit.

"Running away, are you?"

Orochimaru's voice echoed more distinctly this time, forming hand seals rapidly: "Fire Release: Phoenix Sage Flower Nail Crimson!"

Myriads of flaming shuriken surged forward, resembling flying stars of fire, simultaneously assailing both targets!

"Earth Style: Earth Formation Wall!"

Cornered by the dense onslaught, the two ninja resorted to defensive measures.

An earthen wall erected before one ninja, while the shuriken, ablaze with the Fire Style, struck the wall, igniting a fierce explosion as the high-temperature flames and metal fragments consumed the barrier.

"This jutsu... Could it be...!"

Just as one ninja endeavoured to escape, the trio of flaming shuriken altered course unexpectedly, arcing around the earthen barrier and homing in on their intended target.

"No!"

Fire erupted, the earthen wall crumbled, and the other ninja employed a water barrier, narrowly surviving, though his dog comrade had met a grim fate.

"Hu-hu-!"

This individual turned to flee, yet upon rotation, he confronted Orochimaru, who stood there as if he had never moved.