Chapter 11: Serpent

After returning to the village, the Sannin breathed a collective sigh of relief. Night had fallen, yet the streets of Konoha remained bustling with people. Vendors illuminated the streets with lanterns, their cries filling the air.

Many civilians happily concluded their day's work and enjoyed the company of their children. Laughter and conversations about various news filled the air.

At a food stall, a group of plump ninjas laughed and drank heartily.

Passing by, a group of Konoha Police Force ninjas displayed relaxed and serene expressions.

Jiraiya spotted his parents, exchanged greetings, and excitedly ran off.

In the distance, Jiraiya's mother doted on him, and Jiraiya proudly regaled his tales that could be heard from afar.

Tsunade gazed at Orochimaru quietly, a sudden smile brightening her face. "Orochimaru, thanks you for today!" Tsunade placed a hand on Orochimaru's shoulder, resembling an older sister praising her younger brother, which had a slightly comical effect.

"Oh, really?" Orochimaru's heart throbbed as he looked at the lovely Tsunade. "I will protect you!" A rare genuine smile appeared on Orochimaru's usually cold snake-like face.

"Orochimaru, what was that incredible substitution technique you used today?"

"Oh, that... just a small idea, it's all about..." Orochimaru spoke with confidence when it came to his technique.

However, at that moment, two ninjas approached. "Miss Tsunade, Mito-sama requests your presence for dinner!"

"Alright, let's go!" Tsunade's attention swiftly shifted. "Goodbye, Orochimaru!" Tsunade bid farewell and departed cheerfully with the two ninjas. "Brother Yemu, we were in danger today, but thankfully I was able to turn the tide..."

Observing Tsunade's departing figure, the curve at the corner of Orochimaru's mouth gradually faded, and his excited heart slowly cooled.

Amidst the lively crowd on the streets, Orochimaru felt like an inconspicuous stone that went unnoticed by everyone.

The cheerful and bustling atmosphere couldn't touch a lost soul, and the dazzling lights failed to illuminate a cold heart.

Orochimaru lowered his head, feeling like a passerby out of sync with the world, as he walked through the crowd and ventured deeper into the enveloping darkness.

Orochimaru, is this what your heart feels like? An icy snake lurking in the shadows, merging into darkness, and yet yearning for the faint warmth and light of a candle?

Upon returning to his room, Orochimaru entered without turning on the lights. His mental power had already sensed everything in the darkness.

His dark golden pupils emitted a chilling light, as if he was the master of darkness itself.

What is loneliness? Loneliness is standing amidst a lively crowd where no one pays attention to you.

What is loneliness? Loneliness is an empty house where no one else resides.

Gradually, Orochimaru's pale hand clenched into a fist. He remembered his life in the other world.

In the bustling university, Orochimaru preferred to remain in his dormitory, pursuing his own endeavors. Though he had siblings and parents, they mostly stayed in touch through phone calls.

That was loneliness. Orochimaru found solace in solitude, cherishing the purity of solitary contemplation and existence.

But upon arriving in this world, he truly became a loner. He was a time traveler, yet not by choice, nor was he an orphan with carefree independence.