Pythian Games [ Part 4]

--------------------------

[Chapter 14]

"Alright! Ladies and Gentlemen, those who have come afar to watch this spectacle unfold and those who were local I present to you all, The Pythian Games!" The announcer announced. He didn't have a mic or something but his voice was Booming across the Crisaean plains.

If he isn't using magic then Icarus would eat his hand....

Great cheer resounded from the audience. Icarus wanted to block his ears with his hands but refrained.

"The first even that'll open this Pythian Games will be.....The foot race!" The Crisaean plains went crazy.

Icarus felt a trepidation curl in his ribcage like a rattlesnake.

'Fuck' Icarus can only curse. Foot race? Icarus never did that! But....it won't be hard right?
...
.....
Right?!

It's just running so he needs to complicate things. It doesn't matter that he doesn't look graceful while running, what matters is winning.

But....

When Icarus looked at his fellow competitors he felt shivers all over his body. The reason? They're fit like the biggest modern bodybuilder fit. And... He's just a lanky dude. No muscles, no nothing, just all skin and bones. All fragile and brittle like one shove can break him.

Yes, he may be exaggerating things but that's how he sees himself.

'Well...' Icarus gained a devious smile as he set his foot on the starting line.

Blueish green lines starting glowing under his clothes like a zebra, but... with blue lines.

'Unfortunately they don't have magic.'

Icarus along with the other competitors bent and got in a classic runner stance.

As he was bending Icarus quickly reinforced himself with runes that focused on Speed and defence. The speed runes glowed and sunk into his sandals and legs while his defence runes inscribed and etched themselves on his clothes.

Was he cheating? Absolutely. Did he care? Nope~

Icarus lowered the centre of his body and leaned forward more.

The announcer beside them walked around them and, "Gooo!" With that shout sprinters took off, kicking a cloud of dust while doing so.

Icarus waited a second, waited until his body heated, bristled like a tea pot then....

Then....

He took off.

Looking back, it's quite funny that Icarus was worried about nothing because when he took off, it was like he was flying. The air cracked, tearing apart while resisting his force.

Icarus took one step and he never took another again. If you know what it feels like travelling in a car and travelling 160 Km/h on a highway then Icarus was like that.

Air stung his eyes, making them watery. Distantly, Icarus was grateful that he chose to protect himself with defence runes because otherwise...

People didn't know what happened because one second they were cheering on the number one lead then the very next second something passed before their eyes.

'Fast!' Many people thought so.

The air distorted, Icarus didn't see anything other than the finish line. Even he himself didn't know what's going on. One second he was running- it's debatable if he was running. More like flung himself away- then the next he was already at the finish line with his legs hurting like he was dancing all night.