Arc 6.7

The week quickly passed and in a blink of an eye, it was time for Le Yi's operation. Qiang Zhuang looked at his bald wife calmly but the trembling of his every move revealed his inner emotions. A day before the operation, he personally shaved his wife's head and at that time he still got to laugh a little and tease his wife. But looking at him now, his heart is beating in nervousness and fear.

Le Yi hugged him tightly with soft kisses comforting him in possible ways. "Dear, don't worry. I will be fine."

"Of course you will be!" Qiang Zhuang gently kissed him before being called out of the operation room by Gu Chen.

With complete equipment but only one doctor, the operation took over seven hours. The whole clinic was quiet and even the beeping of the machine was heard outside in the waiting area.

In those seven hours, Qiang Zhuang did not manage to sit down and was solely staring at the door without moving in unease. Ke Ning tried to calm him down but he seem to can't hear anything else.

Until the door from inside open did Qiang Zhuang finally get to snap out of his thought. He saw Dr. Gu's hand still has little blood. He immediately questioned him,

"How is he? Is everything okay?!"

"Yes, young man. Everything went smoothly, the result was better than expected. It may take a while for him to wake up."

Qiang Zhuang and Ke Ning' spirits immediately lift up.

"C-can I go in?" Qiang Zhuang impatiently asked.

"Yes, but you need to disinfect first."

Inside the room, what Qiang Zhuang saw was several machines that was attached to his baby's body and his wrapped up head. He slowly and quietly walked towards him as if afraid of disturbing him, tremblingly held his hand and pressed his lips on it, while silently grateful.
.............
"Husband, how are you?" Ke Ning asked as he helped Gu Chen clean his body.

"Tired. This is the first operation I had after all these. Not to mention that he really had low chance of surviving."

Gu Chen noticed his wife's tensity. He held her in his arms and continued, "but he do has great luck. He have a promising future for recovery."

Noticing her relief, Gu Chen was also glad. He hates to see a couple who loves and are dedicated to each other get separated by death. If he can, he'll try his best to save.
..........
Three days later, Le Yi finally opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was of course, his man with dark circles under his eyes. Seeing this, Le Yi was so distress that he looked at his husband unhappily.

The person himself did not realize anything as he was currently immersed at the fact of his wife finally waking up. Le Yi pulled Qiang Zhuang to the bed and commanded, "sleep." His tone left no space for arguing.
..........
After several more days, Le Yi was recovering well and even his bare head has sign of hair growth.

However, it's not yet time for the four to continue their way to the base. Aside from the fact that Le Yi is still weak, Ke Ning will be giving birth in less than 2 months! Gu Chen already prepared every thing. And even the allotted time for Qiang Zhuang and Gu Chen's gathering of supplies was shortened to half a day every day.

Once while eating their meals, Qiang Zhuang briefly mentioned how the zombies have become more and more powerful.

"That's right. We even encountered several 'alive' plants and aggressive animals." Gu Chen added.

"We might encounter more powerful in the future. We should be careful." Le Yi said in a serious tone.

[Host, you should also collect crystal nuclei!]

'Crystal nuclei?'

[Yes, host. It can improve the power of ability users by leaps if absorbing the power in it!]

'Where is it found?'

[In the zombies'heads!]

'Okay.'
..........
After experiencing several setbacks, Lu, Cao Peng, together with the remaining 10 people from their group finally arrived at the base after how many weeks of delays.

They spent roughly two hours outside the gate as there is a long line, not to mention that everyone has to register and has to allot 30% of the people's supplies before they can successfully get in.

Once they got in, everyone started going their own separate ways. Lu, who lost most of his people and supplies, did not have a good face, but still did not make it hard for Cao Peng. He just took his shares of necessities fairly, left with his remaining men, and left Cao Peng with his fair shares to fend off for himself.

Cao Peng then went straight to the lobby to look for promising group of ability users he can join to for gathering supplies. He vaguely heard from the other survivors that this is the nicest job to have in the base.

As fate would have it, Cao Peng bumped with certain people who he has great enmity with, Mo Dei and Fai.

Cao Peng watched as the two people shamelessly stuck to each other doing shameless things. He looked at them with frosty eyes. The two people who saw him was slightly shocked and there was a hint of guilt within those eyes which immediately vanished as fast as it appeared.

Cao Peng was too tired to bother with the two of them, so he continued on his way thinking that they must have arrived several days earlier.
............
Cao Peng managed to join a good team. A few days later, they took a mission of getting and securing medical supplies in city G, which is two cities away from the base. The price was quite high, since the medical supplies are needed for the research group.

The higher the price, the higher the risk. Therefore, the mission was taken by a total of three groups with 8 powerful members each. As fate would it have again, Cao Peng, Lu, Mo Dei, and Fai, then again are together. Cao Peng and Lu were in different teams, while Mo Dei continued sticking to Fai as they were in another team.

"Listen! The three teams will be having joint cooperation for this mission. Refrain from fighting each other as much as possible! Don't be a nuisance and everyone should cooperate well. The mission might take several days to weeks depending on luck! We might die out there. For those of you with weak heart, I suggest you back out now that you still have a chance." The leader said.

Seeing no one backing down, the leader nodded in approval. He waved his hand and said,

"Let's go!"

Two large Hummers and one big truck crossed the streets completely aware with lurking dangers everywhere, once again.
.............