The Ceremony

"That fucking nerd. Why though? Why's he so difficult to read?" Katsuki thought to himself as the memory of the night he was bestowed a medal of honor played through his head.

~~2 months ago. Location: Might agency conference hall.~~

"Number 2 hero, Dynamight. Katsuki Bakugo." The announcer called. Katsuki was facing the crowd standing tall with his chest up and his hands behind his back. The number 1 hero, Deku, approached him with a spotlight following him as he walked. The spotlight glimmered off Izuku's teary eyes as he looked up into Katsuki's. He reached up and pinned a medal of honor on Katsuki's uniform. Izuku smiled sadly while moving his hand up to cup Katsuki's cheek. The crowd disappeared as his hand made contact with Katsuki's skin, leaving only them to exist in their world.

"Don't look at me like that." Katsuki said through his teeth.

"I can't help it. I'm proud of you, Kacchan." Izuku said with a sniffle. Time seemed to be in slow motion as he stared at him for what seemed like an eternity but was only a few seconds in reality.

Katsuki blushed as his stomach grew little butterflies when he thought about how pretty Izuku looked. The light shimmering off his eyes and highlighting a little curl in his hair. He smirked slightly then heard a murmur from the crowd and they remembered where they were. Blinking as he pulled away from Izuku's touch and the crowd returned to his attention. Fixing his face & standing stall again.

Next to Katsuki stood the other heroes here tonight, Shoto Todoroki, Mina Ashido, Mirio Togata, & Momo Yaoyorozu. All receiving awards for the war four months prior. Izuku finished handing out the awards to them all & the ceremony came to a close.

Later that night, the two were having dinner at their house. A dim lamp was lit next to the couch. The only other light was the golden sun setting and shining in through the windows. It was unusually quiet besides the tv that was muttering across the room and the chopping from the cutting board. You could feel the sad tension building in the kitchen as they quietly work on their food dishes.

Izuku was standing at the counter behind Katsuki, forming some rice balls. Never being particularly skilled at cooking, he was making a mess. He stopped for a moment and sighed, then said, "Kacchan. I know this is a great honor that was given to you... and I am actually proud of what you did.". He continued to fumble with the rice. "But I'm really gonna miss working with you. We made a great team." A rice ball bounced off the counter and tumbled to the floor as Izuku started to tear up.

Katsuki set down the knife he was using then turned around. When he laid eyes on him he could see Izuku's tensed up body language. Bending over, he scooped up the crumbled rice ball off the floor then reached around izuku and set it on the counter. He leaned forward and placed his forehead on Izuku's shoulder, causing him to flinch slightly. Katsuki shook his head while saying "You think I wanted this?" A melancholy tone came over his voice. "If I could choose to still be a hero I would. But ever since the third war I can't use my quirk anymore... It- It's just how it has to be." Katsuki sighed.

Izuku slapped his hands down on the counter then cried out "But you're only 25! You should have had plenty of years left! It's not fair! You're supposed to surpass me and become the number one hero!" Tears were now running down his cheeks.

"I know." Katsuki said as he stood up from Izuku's shoulder, sighing in disappointment. Izuku turned toward him, being devastatingly close. Katsuki's stomach again fluttered with butterflies as Izuku looked at him like a sad puppy. "Izuku... We'll still be around eachother everyday. We live together." Katsuki continued to gaze at him and thought how even though Izuku was crying, his eyes were sparkling. He thought for a moment about earlier at the ceremony when Izuku cupped his face on stage & how he so badly wanted Izuku to touch him again. How he wanted to touch Izuku too. A twitch tingles in his hand as he hesitates whether or not to just grab him.