CHAPTER THIRTY : LISTENER

Draco's POV

I stared at the Gryffindor sitting in the other corner of the room with Longbottom, Lovegood, Patil and Finnigan. He looked awfully quiet among them today. I hadn't noticed him earlier, but I was aware of Potter's chirpiness among his friends. But today, he just listened and nodded to whatever they said.

I sat by the fireplace in the common room. The fever was gone, but my body felt hot. Perhaps because I had been sitting around the fire for a long time now.

Potter's group of friends burst into laughter as they talked, but Potter only grinned slightly before lowering his head. He acted quite odd. I wondered if any of his friends had noticed it. Lovegood was good at these things, but even she was busy chatting with Longbottom.

Potter looked around, like his thoughts were elsewhere. He glanced from left to right. Then his eyes met mine. He obviously hadn't expected my gaze to be on him, because he blinked in shock. My stare also froze. I couldn't bring myself to look away.

Potter and I made eye contact for a brief moment before I snapped into reality again as Theo called me, "Draco!"

I flinched. "Yeah?" I faced him and hoped he hadn't seen my gazing at Potter. I had almost forgotten Theo sat beside me.

"I said I don't understand why you are hesitating when you've finally got the opportunity you've been waiting for," Theo said. "You always nagged about how you wanted to switch partners and get rid of Potter. So, what's holding you back?"

I sighed. That damn question. I had been asking that to myself since McGonagall had offered me the switch.

"It's not about Potter," I managed to say. "It's about the surroundings. How long has it been since this program started? Two weeks. If McGonagall wanted, she could've switched me in the first week. It's the bloody third week. I have adjusted to the surroundings now. Switching dorms means adapting to a new environment. And honestly, that seems like too much at the moment."

I heard Theo sigh. "You know you sound too dramatic at the moment. I mean, it's not that difficult after all. Get your things packed and switch dorms."

"Who's switching dorms?" Wilson piped in as he walked over.

"This gentleman is." Theo gestured at me.

"I haven't confirmed my decision," I said, frowning.

"Oh, you should totally do it!" Wilson sat beside us. "I'd be more than happy to switch partners if I had the opportunity." He had a thick French accent, and a really nice smile.

"Looks like someone's having dormmate crisis," Theo laughed. Wilson rolled his eyes.

"You won't believe how much Finnigan kicks in his sleep. I used to think my sister, Wendy, was bad. But Finnigan is on a whole new level. I usually put on some defensive charms."

He rolled his eyes again, but he didn't seem to look too mad about it.

"At least you can protect yourself," Theo added. "I can do nothing about Longbottom's night stories except closing my ears."

"What do you mean night stories?" I asked, chortling.

"That wanker talks in his sleep!" Theo exclaimed, eyes wide. "Do you know how horrible that is? My soul leaves my body the moment he starts chanting."

"Oh, yeah? What does he say?" Wilson asked, laying back into the chair.

"Nonsense," Theo said, "Mostly herbology rubbish."

"Man, it's hard to have dormmates," Wilson sighed, shaking his dusty blonde hair out of his eyes, "You must have also experienced this, didn't you, Draco? Tell us, what does Potter do in his sleep?"