CHAPTER EIGHT : ENROLLMENT

Draco's POV

After the train stopped at Hogsmeade, Blaise, Pansy, Theo, and I made our way toward the horseless carriages and took one. We were chattering about random things.

"What happens if we fail the test?" Blaise spoke suddenly.

"You don't get a position, and you can leave," I answered. Astoria made me read the information and the instructions until I memorised them, which was why I had a pretty clear idea about almost everything.

"I don't think I'm going to get a position," Pansy said after a beat of silence. "Look at all of you. You are so smart. I'm sure Draco will make it."

"Don't think so negatively," Blaise consoled. "You might have a chance."

It was true, though. Around thirty people were applying for the job of candidates. It only made sense for a few people to be rejected.

I sighed. I could flunk the test on purpose, but father would know. It was not my choice to apply anyway. But father knew I wouldn't fail at it either. Lucius Malfoy was at least that confident in his son. I couldn't risk messing with this.

When we arrived at Hogwarts, I managed a small smile seeing the looming castle where I had once felt safe and happy. It felt odd as we walked in since the place was almost empty. Usually, there would have been house elves roaming around, cleaning up the stone walls and polishing trophies. The spiral staircase was the same, with Minerva McGonagall standing at the top with her usual stern expression.

It reminded me so much of the first year. I had been so innocent and arrogant, strutting around with Crabbe and Goyle. I regretted being a fool who thought the world only revolved around my life. But there was nothing I could do to change it now.

"Do you know she's the headmistress now?" Theo whispered.

"Really?" Pansy asked.

"I mean, it only makes sense," Blaise said.

McGonagall waited until everyone was here before she addressed us, "Good day, everyone. I believe all of you are here to apply for the student program. I am confident that most of you will get at least one position, depending on your skill sets." She paused and looked around. I could tell she was slightly surprised to see me there.

"No, this program isn't for fun," she continued, "It is an opportunity for you to help us re-establish Hogwarts by working together in a peaceful environment." She eyed the side of the area I stood.

"Let's get seated inside the great hall, and I'll explain the process further." McGonagall beckoned everyone up the stairs and into the great hall.

There was one singular table for all the candidates. We all seated ourselves. As I took note of the other candidates who applied, I saw Potter seated with Longbottom and Lovegood two seats across from where I was.

I rolled my eyes.

Of course! Potter had to apply here. Great, another year with that prick. I thought irritably.

"Settle down, everyone." McGonagall stood up at the front of the hall. "I shall now explain the procedure of the Student Program."

"The student program will be held today," she announced, "All of you will be assessed in about an hour once you register. The test is for us Professors to determine your skill sets and who your partner will be. The test is a written assessment. Anti-cheating spells will be placed on the papers. Is that clear to everyone?" She looked around.

A student from the front raised their hand.

"Yes, Mr Macmillan?"

"How many subjects are we allowed to teach?" he piped in.