CHAPTER FOUR : THE ROYAL GALA

Draco's POV

It was the day of the ball, and I had absolutely no interest in attending it, let alone taking Astoria as my date. I had previously shown my disinterest to my mother, but she insisted on me. It was only for her sake that I dressed up.

It was time to leave now, but I decided to stay in my room. I could hear Father stomping on the stairs on his way to my room to force me to go to the ball. I balled my fist with an infuriated look on my face as Father barged into my room.

"And why aren't you downstairs already?" he asked.

"I'm not going," I said.

"Pardon me?" he asked.

"I'm not attending the ball, father," I said as I stood and walked past him. "Neither am I interested in being married."

Suddenly, I sensed Father gripping me by the wrist, preventing me from walking further. I turned to see his displeased face. Of course, I had upset him.

Tightening his hold on my hand, Father said, "Perhaps, you should learn to speak more politely with your father, Draco."

My eyes automatically lowered since I had a habit of doing that.

"Now, sit down," Father commanded. And I followed as told.

"Looks like I have to explain this to you once again," father said as he sat in a chair, facing me. "After the death of the dark lord, we have been facing a lot of issues, adjusting and keeping up with the prestigious families. Your marriage is an easy way to achieve the lost reputation of the Malfoy family."

"But why should Astoria pay for our sins?" the question slipped out of my mouth in a bitter tone.

"Her parents have agreed," Father said, "And if I'm not wrong, she is quite an admirer of yours."

I exhaled, turning my eyes away from my father's.

"I have always wanted the best for this family," father said, "You have no idea about the number of times I have sacrificed myself to keep you happy. Denying this marriage is a very selfish act on your part, Draco."

"But it's my life..." I couldn't finish my sentence as I felt Father's wand pressing on my hand. He was poking the tip of it on my hand.

"Don't take your decision in a hurry, son," Father gritted his teeth. "I'm elder than you and, thus, wiser. You are still quite young to understand my ways."

I was hardly paying attention to Father's words as I was focused on pulling my hand. Father was truly hurting me.

"Do you understand?"

"Yes, father," I winced, pain evident in my voice.

"Will you marry Astoria?"

"Yes, father."

"And are you coming to the ball now?" he asked sharply.

"Yes, father," I replied, and Father released my hand.

"Good," he said and stood up, straightening his coat. "Your mother and I will be waiting downstairs."

Father stormed off my room as I rubbed my hand where he had poked his wand. My pale skin had turned red, clearly forming a bruise.

Harry's POV

I was in absolute awe, admiring the view of the beautiful ballroom. It was way more extravagant than the Yule ball. There were garlands of silver hung in arrangements with pale flowers glistening in the light. The floor was large and polished, extending far, far away from where I was standing.