CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: SEEKERS ASSEMBLE

Draco's POV

I finished talking to the young Slytherin seeker, who eagerly turned to his team and started whispering. I watched them with some amusement, remembering how zealous I had been when I was their age.

The two team captains met. After some quiet conversation, with a few nods, they turned to Potter and me with hopeful expressions.

The Slytherin captain started with an air of authority. "Being candidates, you are forbidden to play a real quidditch game. But we cannot deny you both are such exceptional players. Hence, both captains have decided to hold a practice match between the Gryffindor and Slytherin teams, hosting you two as our seekers if you agree. Obviously, this match is intended to have an educational approach, to showcase an example for all the teams' seekers."

The Slytherin smirked a very sly smile. "Also, it wouldn't hurt to have some competition, right?"

I glanced towards Potter, who had his lips pressed together. "Well... I-" he started.

But the Gryffindor captain interrupted, "Please, Mr Potter... and Mr Malfoy. We understand this request may bother you, but we'd be honoured if we could witness you two in a match again. And as mentioned, it is only for educational purposes. Just for our team seekers to have some hands-on game watching before they take the pitch."

Potter seemed mollified when he said this and nodded slowly, "Alright..."

"The match will have no effect on the position of our team on the ladder because it's not part of the competition." The Gryffindor continued, "It's just a practice for the two teams, excluding the seekers because you two will be replacing them. We believe the seekers will gain a lot once they see both of your remarkable talents."

This was so obviously a bluff that I had to restrain myself from rolling my eyes. These kids obviously had seen a match before. I could tell from the way they practised and spoke about quidditch. They had experience and would do quite well during their game without the assistance of a match.

I suppose they just wanted a show:

Gryffindor versus Slytherin.

A War Hero versus a Death Eater.

Good versus Evil.

But Potter seemed to be actually considering this, and I could tell from his expression that he had absolutely bought all the bullshit the team captains were saying.

"Well," Potter mused, his brow furrowing, "I guess one game wouldn't hurt."

Smiles spread on the captains' faces.

The Slytherin replied, "Excellent! I think we can play the game today, then. It's the weekend, so I suppose the school can watch as well."

I opened my mouth to interject, but then it struck me...

Revenge. It's the perfect opportunity.

The whole bloody school would be watching Harry Potter playing Seeker for Gryffindor. That would be my chance to get back at him for invading my personal space.

I could finally humiliate Potter in a way nobody had ever done.

But something tugged at the back of my mind. A nervous jolt ran through me. Was revenge really necessary? The fact seemed that Potter had looked so stricken when he had realised that I knew he had read my letter. I was so overcome with anger that the little detail had gone astray at the moment. But now that I thought of it...

It seemed odd for someone to look that way when they obviously read the letter to humiliate me. Possibly spread rumours and gossip about how Draco Malfoy hated himself and was terrified of being blamed. It was odd, but then...