CHAPTER NINE : BACK TO HOGWARTS

Harry's POV

I was in my room, packing my clothes in a trunk, thinking about the events of last week when the sorting hat had declared Malfoy and me as partners. I was reluctant to go to Hogwarts now. Why did I have to have him as a partner? Even thinking of him made my blood boil. I had almost finished packing when Ginny walked in.

"Do you want me to help you with something?" she asked.

"No, I'm almost done," I replied without looking at her.

I heard her sigh as she approached me. "I still don't like the idea of you and Malfoy in one room together," she said, placing the last jumper into my suitcase.

I let out a wry laugh. "You tell me." I turned away to scowl at the floor.

"You might be able to talk to McGonagall about the arrangement," Ginny suggested, taking my arm to turn me around.

"I don't think so. McGonagall was very serious about remaining with our assigned dorm partner."

"But why Malfoy?!"

I sighed. "How should I know?"

"You two must have similar subjects – which means he will teach with you too!" Ginny said, outraged.

"I know..." I said, resigned.

"I hope you both don't end up killing each other."

"I think... I think I'll be able to adjust if Malfoy is cooperative." I knew that probably wouldn't be the case.

Ginny sighed again.

"Here," she said, "I got you something for the trip, you know... something to remember me by."

I looked at her. She held my hand and leaned in for a kiss. I froze.

I thought she would be placing the gift in my hand. But it seemed the kiss was the gift.

Would it be rude to pull away? I thought.

I kissed back for the sake of it. We were going to distance, as Hermione said. We should probably part on good terms.

"I'll come to meet you once in a while," she whispered.

"I don't think that's allowed," I said.

"Then I'll sneak in," she chuckled, and I chuckled back.

After a moment of silence, Ginny said, "I love you."

I stretched my lips in a thin line, then whispered, "Me too."

She pecked my nose. The pit in my tummy widened. I grabbed my trunk, and we walked down to Hermione and Ron.

They both turned and smiled, walking up to me. They engulfed me in a warm embrace.

"Good luck, Harry," Hermione whispered in my ear. "Remember, it's a healthy distance."

"Yeah," I managed weakly.

"Go have fun, mate," Ron said, patting my back. "Don't let Malfoy get on your nerves."

Mr and Mrs Weasley were dropping me at the station, which I felt was excessive because I was the only one returning to Hogwarts. But the more, the merrier, I suppose.

The trip to the station was uneventful. Ron was blabbering about how work with George was, and Hermione and Ginny were talking to themselves.

"What do you think?" I heard Ron say.

"What?"

"What do you think of the new invention called self-tying shoelaces. It's one of my own ideas," Ron proudly said.