CHAPTER NINETEEN : STANDING UP

Harry's POV

It was Tuesday— the second day of being a candidate. The first class Malfoy and I had was flight. We had been quiet, not talking with each other, and especially, not wanting a repeat performance of the previous flight class. At least, that was what I wanted.

We didn't have to take any notes for flight class. So, Madam Hooch asked us to observe the kids while she taught them. She probably wouldn't trust us to teach the students after what we did the previous day.

Malfoy and I were sitting under a tree, watching the kids from a distance. I glanced at him. Malfoy looked considerably better after getting some sleep. I'd never tell him, but I felt really guilty for letting Malfoy sleep in the cold. He hadn't even protested, which was quite unlike him. Last night, when I didn't have a blanket, it left me shivering throughout the entire night.

Now as I stared at Malfoy, he seemed to notice me watching him since his body tensed slightly. His breathing stuttered as he turned his head to send me a cold glare.

I turned my attention to the class, pushing my glasses up awkwardly. I watched the little first-year students struggle to lift their brooms, with their little squeaks of "Up!" while holding their hands out. So far, it would probably be impossible for the brooms to rise anyway.

I chuckled when a kid's broom zoomed up so fast and hit his nose. In response to my laugh, Malfoy sent me a raised eyebrow. I flushed instantly. It was wrong of me to laugh at the kids. I couldn't help it. I looked away from his piercing gaze, awkwardness dripping off from both of us.

Moments later, I heard someone say, "Hello."

I turned to see Luna standing behind us.

"Hi," Malfoy and I both said in unison. The next second we had another awkward eye contact before looking at Luna again.

Malfoy cleared his throat. Luna, seemingly not noticing our little awkward interaction, sat between us.

Don't you have a class now?" she asked, fiddling with her butterbeer cork necklace.

"Well-"

" uh-"

I stopped, and so did Malfoy, his jaw clicking shut. I let out a frustrated huff and decided to speak again as Malfoy looked back at the kids.

"We have flight class to teach together, but there's nothing really for us to do except observe kids," I told Luna.

She nodded in understanding. Malfoy cleared his throat, giving me a sharp look as if asking, "Can I speak now?"

I rolled my eyes, which he took as a yes.

"This lesson is basically just observing the kids. Madam Hooch asked us to notice the students' mistakes. So, we can correct them during the student program's class," he added, not sparing me another glance.

"That's nice," she said, "You two can coordinate easily in this class."

Malfoy scoffed. And I knew the reason. Yesterday's flight class wasn't exactly coordinated.

Luna seemed to have understood, too. "Yesterday was quite a mess, wasn't it?" she asked.

"Yeah, it was quite chaotic," I replied indifferently, "I told you all about it, or did you not even listen yesterday?"

"Oh, I remember," she replied softly. "You told me Mr Weasley was coming in as your guardian. Do you know when?"

"I don't know," I replied, my guts twisting. "I really don't get it. I'm the equivalent of a wizarding world adult, and they still need to call a guardian for me." I frowned.