Chapter 26: Study

Start from the beginning

Orochimaru paid him no attention, gazing instead at the grassy expanse where six figures cloaked in black emerged leisurely.

"...!"

The black market ninja wished to vocalize his thoughts, but he could only cough up blood, strength and life ebbing away. The world spun before him, collapsing to the ground, his fear and resistance extinguished in an instant.

"Not bad, but why so unsurprised?"

The foremost member of the Shimura clan removed his hood, revealing an ordinary, impassive countenance.

The eyes beneath Orochimaru's mask studied him intently. He bore the gloom, gravity, sternness, and detachment characteristic of the Shimura clan, yet concurrently exhibited an air of composed control or arrogance.

The six figures remained wordless, ensnared by an eerie silence.

The lead Shimura ninja, Shimura Kazuharu, a capable subordinate of Danzo, scrutinized Orochimaru with intense eyes.

Orochimaru's execution of the two trackers earlier adhered to the customary Anbu style. Kazuharu had familiarity with Anbu's recruitment training, and Orochimaru intentionally incorporated iconic tactical elements, indicating at least some interaction with Anbu.

However, the ongoing transaction bore immense import, implicating other Great Ninja Villages. Danzo had previously acquired intel on Anbu's activities in this region.

Consequently, this individual might have acted independently, or perhaps wasn't Anbu at all!

What vexed Kazuharu more was Orochimaru's use of the "Phoenix Sage Flower Nail Crimson," a technique belonging to the Uchiha clan!

Orochimaru's rendition was a bootleg version, inferior to Itachi's original, primarily due to inadequate control over the fire element.

Yet, the technique's core lay in the fusion of fire and shuriken and meticulous control of their trajectories. It had been crudely imitated.

Mental power was Orochimaru's forte, and he had painstakingly honed this technique, exploiting its visually captivating nature. In Kazuharu's perspective, he had donned the mantle of an "Uchiha" quite convincingly.

The Uchiha were a cause for concern. Anbu comprised fewer than a hundred operatives, and merely two or three were Uchiha clan members. This individual had clearly altered his appearance, raising questions about his true identity.

"Will you hinder me?" Orochimaru queried icily.

Though he sought attention deliberately, every action was within Orochimaru's orchestration. He etched in his mind the actions of the black market's head.

"Word on the street is that you're a Konoha Anbu member."

Unexpectedly, Kato Dan stepped forward, Kazuharu giving him an inscrutable glance, opting for silence.

"What Konoha Anbu? I'm here conducting black market business. There's no need to disclose my identity to you, is there?" Orochimaru retorted, veiling his chakra—a veteran Jōnin.

"Even if you deny it, your use of Uchiha clan ninjutsu exposes you!"

Orochimaru's veiled jutsu spoke volumes and all the responsibility of Orochimaru actions today shifted to the Uchiha clan.

"You, Uchiha, are hatching sinister plots. Surrender, or we'll use force to escort you."

Dan's demeanour remained aloof; he scrutinized Orochimaru through self-assured eyes. "And the merchandise you're trading is suspicious. Hand it over."

Laughter erupted from Orochimaru, irrepressible and haunting.

Never had he encountered such audacity. Kato Dan, was it a natural gift or the teachings of Danzo that made you this audacious?

Surrender the scroll, then silence me.

Seen through by Orochimaru, this Shimura would perish whether associated with Konoha or not; better to err on the side of caution than let any links to his identity emerge.

Orochimaru's eyes ignited in a scarlet blaze. In an instant, the Sharingan's triple tomoe pattern emerged, his blood-red gaze penetrating the scene.

Disguises could be crafted, even eyes altered. Having devoured Uchiha Kaze, Orochimaru could replicate Sharingan's appearance.

"What...!" Shock rippled among the six, and before they could react, a blinding flash engulfed them. Concurrently, a mental force surged, rattling their very cores.

"A devious ninjutsu! Stay vigilant, everyone!"

Kato Dan roared, channelling his chakra to erect a mental barrier, warding off the illusion that Orochimaru's three tomoe sharingan attempted to weave. Yet, it exacted a toll, mentally taxing him.

"Dan Kato, truly a prodigy," Orochimaru mused genuinely, impressed by the technique.

Yet, I despise you! Orochimaru's primal growl resonated; chakra surged, flames unfurling like a tidal wave. Unseen by closed eyes, scorching menace emanated.

Seizing this opportunity, one of the remaining chūnin, Shimura Chunin, unveiled his crimson eyes, stealthily plunging his kunai into an unsuspecting comrade.