16. I should've known better

Start from the beginning

It was clear that I was being used as bait to capture him.

However, I was determined not to be a pawn in their strategy, so I decided to leave the house.

At that moment, I knew that Uncle George's place would be the safest choice for me until I was ready to leave the country. Living with them evoked a sense of nostalgia, and I felt at peace after a really long time.

Ever since my parents passed away, they had taken me in, especially because I wasn't of legal age. Uncle George, along with his wife Stacy and their son Alex, had become the closest thing to family that I ever had.

"Do you want to take on Alex?" Unexpectedly, Uncle George emerged from behind me, catching me off guard.

Before I could respond, Alex's voice chimed in. "I'm not exactly up for a match against an amateur." I rolled my eyes and shifted my gaze in his direction, where he was demonstrating boxing techniques to someone, though it looked more like he was giving him a good beating.

Uncle George used to be a boxer but now owns the gym, and Alex, his son, has become a professional boxer, just like his father. When I was a kid, I used to come here often with my father.

Looking up at Uncle George, who was mopping sweat off his shaved head with a towel, I shook my head in response. "No, not today." The truth was, I didn't have any energy left in me to even raise my arm. The wound on my neck was pulsating with intense pain, and it felt like one side of my arm was going numb.

Uncle George settled onto the bleachers next to the boxing ring and motioned for me to join him. I followed his gesture and took a seat beside him. We both remained silent for a while, our attention fixed on Alex's movements in the ring.

"So, you're really set to leave tomorrow," Uncle George finally spoke after a brief pause.

I let out a sigh. "Yeah."

"Do you have to go?" His voice carried a hint of sadness. It was obvious, I couldn't reveal the real reasons behind my departure and the complexities surrounding it. 

I didn't even tell them the reason why I was at their house. I had simply told them that I wanted to spend some time with them before I left.

Sometimes, it's easier to keep certain truths hidden, especially from those we care about.

"I feel like I really need to leave this place," I responded after a pause.

He regarded me for a moment, his gaze lingering. "Do you still hold yourself responsible for your parent's death?" he inquired.

His question struck me like a bolt, piercing through the defenses I had put up over the past few days. "I did cause their deaths," I admitted, the weight of the suppressed emotions finally surfacing.

"Neev..." Uncle George reached out, placing his large hand gently on my head. "It wasn't your fault."

I shook my head, a heavy breath escaping my lips as I met his gaze. "But it was," I said, my voice shaky because of the turmoil inside me. "I found some voicemails on my old phone. They were trying to catch an earlier flight because I had lied about being sick that day. If I hadn't lied, they wouldn't have rushed to catch that early flight. None of this would've happened."

I braced myself for Uncle George to lay blame on me for his friend's death. I steeled myself to hear whatever accusations he might throw my way.

After all, I deserved it.

However, instead of berating me, he softly patted my head. "I'm aware that you didn't tell me the truth that day," he said, and I turned to face him. "I actually came over to check on you. But the reality is, Neev, your parents were already on the way here even before I mentioned that you were feeling unwell." his eyes were gentle as he asked. "So, tell me how all of this is your fault?"