Just like always

TW: eating disorder (kinda, only a few mentios), blood (nothing graphic), probably something else?

He was careful on the third step of the second flight of stairs, that one creaked loudly, and he didn't want anyone to wake up, he skipped that step, making his way down to the kitchen. He walked past the heads of the old house elves and his mother's portrait, almost tripping on Molly's cleaning equipment on the last stairs that lead to the kitchen.

He dug out a dark blue teacup from the cupboard, it was his favorite had always been, there was a chip missing at the top, but he still liked it. It had been dropped onto the floor and the small piece had been lost before he repaired it. He had forgotten his wand upstairs, now he couldn't make tea without waking someone up, and he didn't want to climb back all those steps just to fetch it.

He sat down at the kitchen table, setting his empty cup on the table, laying his head on his arms that were folded on the table. The room was all too familiar, it was either this or his mother's study that she would deliver her punishments in. Usually, it was in the kitchen for some reason, he never found out why. But he wasn't sure if he wanted to know.

He turned his head to the other direction, looking at Kreacher's cupboard to see whether the elf was here or not. The door was open, and he couldn't see the elf tangled in the one blanket he owned. He laid his head back down, going back to staring at the wall, and at the door.

It had been a full moon last night, and Remus had said he'd be back tonight, but he wasn't sure if that would happen. Sirius felt bad that he wouldn’t be able to be there for him anymore, like he had been all those years at Hogwarts. Staring at the wall brought back horrid memories he hadn't remembered in a long time.

He remembered the first time Warburga had used the cruciatus curse on him. He didn't remember what he had even done, but he had been fourteen, and he had just come home for the summer. He had been slammed against that wall he was staring at, Regulus was in the room for some reason as well. He quickly shook off that memory, or tried at least.

Then he remembered another one, just another horrible idea of his mothers, but was quickly pulled out of that thought when the kitchen door opened, he jumped, before he saw Remus' dirty blond hair peek from the doorway. “Oh you're here.” He said, as he slipped into the kitchen. Sirius looked up, nodding.

Remus looked tired, he had dark circles under his eyes that looked like he hadn't slept in days, his hair looked dirty and there was some blood staining the blond color. Sirius wasn't sure if he hoped it was Remus' or not. When Remus shook his jacket off, hanging it on the back of a chair, Sirius could see dark stains on his dark green jumper, this time he was sure he hoped it wasn't blood. Probably was, though.

Remus sat down across from him at the table, there was a new cut on his chin, and he could see one peeking from under his jumper as well. There were some bruises on his face and neck too, not big ones, though. But he still smiled, slightly as he reached for Sirius' hand from across the table, Sirius gave it to him, watching as their fingers intertwined together, and rested down on to the table after a minute.

“You made tea?” Remus asked, his voice sounder drained, but it was still sweet, like always. Sirius shook his head.

“Was going to.” He whispered, looking at Remus, even though he looked tired otherwise, his eyes looked very much alive, they were the bright amber color like usually, and they popped out in the dark even more, just like always.

“And didn't because…?” Remus prompted as Sirius didn't continue.

“Forgot my wand.”

“You know you can make tea without your wand too.” Remus chuckled, and Sirius smiled slightly in return.