thirty nine.

I sigh, "you've gotta be kidding me."

   "Looks like the tide's coming in."

   The twinkie slows to a stop at the muddy water soaked path in front of it. This car's been through hell and back, one wrong move and this might be where it dies.

   "They already came through here," Pope points, "those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys we gotta go."

   JJ turns to John B, "what do you think, chief?"

   "I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey."

   I nod, "I'm gonna have to agree with that statement."

   Kie scoffs, "well clearly they made it."

   "Why're y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways?" Sarah smiles.

   Damn, she knows us.

   "She's got a point."

   John B starts up the car again and Pope and JJ give him instructions.

   "Speed is your friend here."

   "Try and stick to the high ground in the middle."

   We start forward, mud kicking up at the windows.

   "Bro punch it!"

   "Speed is your friend!"

   "We're gonna slide!"

   We make it to the other side and I let out a breath of relief. Getting stranded on an island with no cell service was not on my list of things to do today.

   "I told you we'd make it."

   "That's my girl."

   JJ slides open the backdoor for us, "word to the wise, gator's nest out here so keep your eyes peeled. You don't wanna step on a mama gator, that's the last thing you want."

   Kie and I exchange skeptical glances as we follow behind the boys, "they have nests?"

   "Seems like a good place to park," Sarah quips.

   "You don't wanna be like Pat Wommack," JJ picks up a stick, "she had her calf chewed off by a gator."

   Kie shakes her head, "that's actually not true."

   "Pat Wommack was injured in a car accident, but I hear you," she sighs.

   JJ shrugs, "okay live in ignorance, but she had her calf chewed off by a gator. I know that for a fact. They like the brackish water- wait hold on! I see something."

   JJ sticks his arm out in front of me and I roll my eyes, "what are you doing?"

   He splashes the stick in the water.

   "Right wake them up, that's smart."

   "I was just making sure it wasn't a gator."

   I push past JJ following Pope. He holds up a hand to signal us to be quiet. I peer over his shoulder and watch as men work, Rafe supervising. They talk about the cross and splitting the profits.

   "Hey stop!" Limbrey cries, "did you hear it? Get in there boys, do it by hand."

   My heart sinks as I watch them lift a casket out of the hole.

   There's no cross, just a grave.

   A grave they're defiling.

   Rafe pops it open and I squint to see. From the look on Limbrey's face I can tell it's not what she was expecting.