twenty three.

"He's pinched man."

   "Nah, they wouldn't be patrolling if they'd caught him."

   I sigh, "let's hope."

   "You know we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too."

   "Well if we're gonna be outlaws we might as well help John B."

   "So? Find him before they do?"

   Pope grabs his keys, starting for the door, "I'm gonna get gas for the boat."

   Kiara looks up at him, "hey be careful, okay?"

   He ignores her, "meet me at the dock at three, don't be late."

   Kiara follows him out and I hear the revving of JJ's bike. JJ takes a seat beside me on my makeshift bed, letting out a sigh.

   I frown, "why're we always fighting?"

   He shrugs, "families fight, it's what makes them family."

   Once Kiara comes back inside we start packing up food from the Wreck's kitchen and she finally spills her guts about what happened between her and Pope last night.

   "You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?"

   I shoot JJ a look as I package the bread he's handed me.

   "Wasn't really the kinda thing that needs interpretation. Is that gonna be enough food for them?"

   I shrug, "I mean, for a couple of weeks and that's all they need."

   "Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings."

   JJ grabs the box of food from me and we follow Kie out to the car, "don't beat yourself up too much. He's completely changed his feels. The past 24 hours have been like Jekyll and Hyde."

   "I hate to admit it but I miss the old Pope, I least I knew what to expect-"

   "Where you been?"

   My eyes go wide at the sight of Kiara's parents and I duck behind JJ as he loads the food into the trunk.

   "I'm fine, I slept here."

   "Well we were up, half the night, scared to death, looking for you. Were you even gonna tell us?"

   "Well I'm telling you right now."

   JJ closes the trunk and Mrs. Anna's eyes fall on us, "alright what the hell are the three of you up to?"

   I frown, "I'm really sorry Mrs. Anna but we've gotta go."

   "No, absolutely not!"

   I climb into the back of the seat, running my hands through my hair as Kie and her mom start a screaming match.

   "Mom, John B needs me!"

   "You need to stay here."

   "Kiara!"

   She slams her car door, tears running down her cheeks now, "i'll be careful! I'm sorry, I'm sorry." We pull away from the wreck and down the road.

   It's only fifteen minutes until we're in front of JJ's house, the boy sighing as Kie puts the car in park.

   He gives a phony smile, "home sweet home."

   I tap his shoulder, "do you want company?"

   "Nah this will only take a second," he hops out of the car.

   Me and Kie watch as he goes inside, the girl turning to me after he's disappeared. "How're you doing, Cat?"

   I smile, "same as you, bad."

   Kie shakes her head, "I can't imagine-"

   "It's fine, Kie."

   JJ storms back out of the house, climbing into the car. Kiara turns to him, "how'd it go?"

   JJ holds up the keys, "let's go."

* * *

   JJ grins, "There she be."

   I follow him in the marina as he runs his hand along the boat, "1983 formula 402 SR1. The Phantom. The first boat to make the run to bermuda in under 16 hours! Forty years old! Forty!"

   Kie frowns, "It's kinda a junker."

   JJ whips around, "really? She's right there Kie, she can hear you." He changes tone, "let's just put it this way. You would not be smoking weed right now, if she never existed."

   I sigh, "I just hope it runs."

   "Oh she'll run alright. She's faster than any cutters the boys in blue got."

   At the sound of motorcycles I turn, "Pope! Finally!"

   I start towards the entrance, stopping short at the sight of someone who is most definitely not Pope.

   My eyes widen, "Rafe."

   "Hey, there, what's going on? How you guys doing?"

   Someone whistles and I turn to find Barry at the other entrance, a smirk on his face.

   "Well, well," He pulls out a gun, cocking it and aiming it at the center of JJ's chest.

   I turn to Rafe, "what're you doing?" My heart rate picks up, "what're you guys doing?! Haven't you had enough?!"

   "See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road. I'm here because I want my motherfucking money!" Barry shoves JJ to the ground.

   "JJ!" I run towards him, Rafe grabbing me.

   "Rafe let me go!"

   He throws me to the ground, my head ringing. I roll over, watching as Barry kicks JJ and Kie slaps Rafe across the face. Rafe grabs Kie's throat and the girl chokes.

   I slowly pick myself up from the ground, moving until I can gain speed and run at Rafe knocking him over. I fall down next to him and roll onto my back.

   Unbearable pain shoots through my body as I hit my head on the floor again. I feel sore everywhere and I believe I've opened up new cuts on my arms and legs.

   Rafe slowly pulls himself to his knees, "you're gonna regret-"

   Before he can finish his sentence he's struck in the back by a crowbar, "leave them alone!"

   Pope hits him again, dropping the crowbar and punching him in the face. He fights better than I've ever seen him before, dodging a punch as he hits him again.

   Barry looks up, "hey! He starts over to them, JJ grabbing his foot to trip him.

   The gun falls from his hand, conveniently over to me. I slowly wrap my hands around its handle, shakily lifting it to aim.

   "Everyone freeze!"

   Everyone stops besides Pope, the boy beating on Rafe relentlessly. JJ and Kie yell for him to stop but he doesn't listen.

   I slowly put my hand on the trigger before squeezing.

   At the sound of the gunshot he finally stops moving, looking over to me. Rafe gasps for air, looking up at me, "L-Lia, you saved-"

   "No!"

   "You saved me-"

   "Rafe! Shut up!"

   I aim the gun at him now, my tears running so heavily down my face they stain my shirt. My hands shake, "why'd you do this? What is wrong with you?!"

   Kie shakes her head, "Cat we've gotta go."

   I don't move, squeezing my eyes shut as JJ takes the gun from me. He sets it on the ground, brushing my tears from my face, "it's okay, you did good Cat."

   I drop my head, my shoulders shaking, "I can't do this anymore."