thirty.

"Guys I read this thing like a thousand times and it doesn't make any sense."

   I pick my head up from where it's lolled out the window, JJ drumming his fingers against my thighs. After me and Kie decided we were too squished I switched with JJ. Now sitting in the crack between the door and the seat, my legs going across his lap.

   "What do the kook kings of Charleston know about a murder on Kildare island?" Kie questions, her eyes narrowed.

   JJ nods, "why you specifically? That's the other creepy thing."

   I agree, "please come alone, that's pretty suspect."

   "I think so too, that's why-"

   Just then the car spurts, smoke erupting from the hood. I instantly duck back inside the window, JJ cranking it up.

   "I got sensitive lungs Pope!" he complains.

   The smoke continues and the car slows.

   "Pope pull over!"

   We steer to the side of the road, hitting the curb causing a hubcap to pop off. Finally we come to a complete stop and I immediately open my door.

   "It's gonna blow up!"

   JJ rolls his eyes, "it's not gonna blow up," he turns to Pope, "you probably unhooked the radiator."

   Me and Kie stand off to the side as Pope pulls up the hood, fanning the smoke away. JJ chuckles, picking up the discarded hubcap.

   "Haven't seen this before, you knocked the whole hubcap off! Might wanna reschedule your meeting for tonight Pope."

   I shoot JJ a look before trying to be helpful, unlike him, "okay plan B?"

   Kiara shrugs, "we could um...public transportation. We could hitchhike. We could rent bikes."

   God she is stoned.

   JJ peers into the hood, "yeah it's the radiator."

   "My dad's gonna kill me."

   JJ for some reason feels the need to respond, "yeah he might, he might."

   I scowl, "JJ!"

* * *

   "Dude's in heaven right now "gotta know the calibration point-"

   "Shut up, JJ." I roll my eyes, leaning my head over onto Kie's shoulder. We are so completely fucked right now and JJ's humor is not helping anything.

   I sigh, "you good, Kie?"

   I hear her suck in a breath, "my mom is so worried I'm gonna be a pogue she's willing to send me to boarding school."

   Sorry Mrs. C it's a little late for that.

   "Well, I guess that's what you get for hanging out with the wrong crowd, Kie," JJ takes a sip of his flask.

   "I mean I'm not gonna go," she shrugs, "I already am who I am."

   "It ain't all bad," JJ points over to Pope, "just look at that guy over there. He would do anything for us. That's a pogue if I've ever seen one."

   Kie looks over at Pope. She stares for a bit.

   I connect eyes with JJ and smile, "good job," I mouth.

   As Pope goes to walk inside, Kie stands to follow him. I watch the two of them go, JJ jumping up to take a seat beside me in the bed of the truck.