Chapter 1: A Desperate Measure

Depuis le début

She sang in the shower as hot water dripped down her figure. The steam filled the room, making it hard to see in or out. The moment she turned on her hairdryer, the steam poured out of the open window, hot air blowing through her hair and drying it out quickly, causing it to poof up like a cartoon dog getting groomed and blow dried. She pet and brushed the wild curls down so they were under control, tying it back into a neat ponytail, and got dressed for work. Her uniform was stained by oil and grease, but she didn't care. It came with the territory of being a mechanic, and she loved the smell of grease in the morning!

With her curls tamed and her uniform on, she grabs her handbag, gets her headphones on her head, and starts playing STARSTRUKK by 3OH!3 ft. Katy Perry, singing along to the words. The morning was beautiful. Not a cloud in the sky, the sun was shining. She watches a butterfly flutter by before it's hit by a passing car and winces at the thought of the tiny thing getting squished against the grill. Within minutes, she walks into the garage where she works, opening the roller doors with the pull of a chain, and opens her toolbox as her coworkers arrive. Within an hour, business was booming, most of the customers asking for her by name. "Phase" "Phase" "miss Phasefeather", "PHASEFEATHEEEER!"her boss screamed. That's not her actual name, by the way. It's just a nickname. Her real name is Crystal.

"Yes, sir?" She calls out, her wild brown locks bouncing in the ponytail and her violet eyes never leaving the engine she was working on. As her boss yelled at her for…whatever it was he was yelling about…she never really knew these days. She didn't listen. But she also didn't seem to notice the McLaren MP4-12C pulling up into the shop parking lot.

"Smokescreen, have you found the target?" Rachets voice asked over the comms. The young bot could only groan in slight annoyance. Of all the jobs he could've been put on, he had to be made to babysit a human. He adored Optimus and all but….this was just insulting. "No, Rachet, I haven't. What makes you think he's even here?" He asks."Why am I even here?! It's a damn human! What's so important about it?!" He almost shouted. He had to watch his tone, or he might get caught, and Rachet isn't exactly the nicest of the Autobots. "Smokescreen, I swear to Primus…." The old mech growled. "It's a she. The human is a young, 25 year old woman with dark brown hair and unnatural violet shade eyes. Her signal resides inside that mechanic shop, " he explains, trying to keep the young bots mind focused. To hear that it was a woman had Smokescreens mind like a damn horny teenage boy staring at the back of a woman as she passed by. His attention was snatched from Rachet, though, as the old mechs words faded into the background. Smokescreen could not believe his eyes….

She was fucking HOT. Legs for days, slim waist with an hourglass curve. Her locks ever so slightly with each step she took. And her hair just framed her face perfectly. Oh, that face….if god had a face, that was it. He was tempted to just open his door, hoping she'd take him home as her car. "Holy scrap…." He mutters, sending Rachet into Silence. "Smokescreen, are you even listening to me anymore? You sound like a human teenage boy gawking." He growled, knowing that tone all too well. "Rach…gimme a run-down on her appearance again? Dark hair, purple eyes?"he asks, waiting as Rachet confirmed, "Yes, that's right. Did you find her?" He asks. "Yeah, I've found her. Maybe this isn't so bad. Hey uh...Rachet I'm going quiet for now. Gonna keep an eye on her." And before the old mech can even answer, Smokescreen hung up, totally enamoured.

At one point, she actually noticed him as she was heading inside. She poked her head into the garage, calling out to her boss, "AYE! THIS CAR YOURS?!" She shouted, the boss responding in kind with a gruff, "DO I LOOK LIKE I CAN AFFORD AN INDIE500 RACE CAR?!?!". Fair, he earned less than her. She approaches Smokescreen, her hands eagerly feeling around the grill to find the button that'd pop the hood. Smokescreen revelled in the contact. She was gentle. Even if she was just small, she handled with care, lifting the hood. He liked that. And she was amazed by the engine. "Holy shit….twin-turbocharged V8 engine…this thing produces 600 ps at 7,500 rpm…." She carefully traces her fingers over the engine, noting the warmth. It wasn't hot but….more like if you were to make contact with another human, it's that kind of warmth. Odd. Nothing seemed damaged. Maybe the owner just left it here to avoid paying a fine. Whatever. She shuts the hood, gives it a good tap tap, then walks away, but can't shake the feeling she was being watched. And as she walked away, Smokescreens radio kicked in, playing Drop Dead Legs.

He stayed there all day, taking note of everything she did. Took note of everything she said. Her boss had no issues yelling at her, that's for sure. But she was damn good at what she did, and he liked watching her work. She was just leaving, handbag over her shoulder as Knockout pulled up. That wasn't good. Smokescreen quickly follows her, keeping close, and to avoid scaring her off, he uses his holoform. Phase was just walking when she realised the car that had been in the parking lot all day was following her. She leans over a little and is met with a man about her age, maybe a little younger. He had white hair with red streaks in the sides and was wearing a red shirt beneath a white blazer that was decorated by red and blue checkers. But his eyes….they were a striking, sky blue….they almost seemed to…glow? No, that can't be possible…

"Hey, I saw you at…uh…I saw you on my dash cam giving my car a look over, and well you didn't have to!" He says, trying to work his way to getting her in without weirding her out. "Oh uh…you're welcome. She's a real beauty. I'll give ya that. The engine is well cared for, too. Not even a speck of dust, " she smiles, leaning against the door. "Hey, thanks! I try my hardest, " he admits. It's true. He takes great pride in caring for himself. "Look, I'm sorry, I know you don't know me, but I'd like to pay ya back somehow for looking over my car, even if ya didn't actually do anything. At least from what I saw. Can I give ya a ride home?" He offers, coming to a complete stop. She looked down the street, feeling uneasy about the offer. Her mother always told her not to get into a stranger's car….but then again….she looked up at the sky, noting how dark it was getting….she sighed. She gets into the passenger seat, and before getting her seatbelt on, she faces him with a look of a mothers scorn. "Listen here. You drop me off at home, and that's all. You make a move or you move away from my house and I will taze you, do you understand me?" She almost growled at him. He was taken aback by her tone and honestly feared what she might do. If he took damage like this, he'd give himself away, and if that happened? She'd probably run for it, so he could only nod.

She gets her seatbelt on and guides him, turning the street as Knockout comes to a stop. "So little Smokescreen is on this case, hm? Well then, this will be easy. " he snickers and peels away from the curb, leaving altogether.