-3.8 not the worst thing to happen

chapter thirty-eight!

"EL," BREATHED CASSIE, the name bringing relief to the blonde as she spoke it. Never had Cassie been so sure that she liked El. Never had Cassie felt emotion so strong. Cassie hadn't noticed that a part of her had been missing until that moment, and being in the brunettes presence made her feel warm and fuzzy, but most importantly, complete. Like there was hope of everything being okay again. Cassie pulled the brunette into a tight embrace, holding her as if she was going to disappear. The brunette's hair was gone, but Cassie couldn't care less.

In that moment, Cassie realized wasn't really okay with dying.

"Cas," said El, her voice holding just as much emotion. "Are you okay? Max?"

"Huh?" asked Max, in disbelief.

"Are you okay?" repeated El, pulling away from Cassie to look at the other girl.

Max looked between the two, "Yeah."

Cassie stared at El in wonder as Max began to pat her on the face, pinching a piece of skin on her cheek. "Are you... are you real? D-did I make you?"

"Oh, please be real."

El grabbed one of each of the girls hands, her fingers intertwining with Cassie's as her eyes flickered between them. "I'm real."

"How?"

"I piggybacked from a pizza dough freezer," replied El. Both sisters faces twisted up, Cassie recovering much quicker from the confusion than Max.

"Naturally."

"W-what?" asked Max.

El went to explain, but the sound of boards creaking from movement caused the three to turn around. They moved through the tinsel wall that decorated the edge of the gym, watching as Vecna climbed out of the bleachers he was previously thrown against. Cassie's grip on El's hand tightened.

El pushed the girl behind her to where Cassie was now stood beside Max, the redhead's hand tightening around her sister's arm. "Stay back."

"Be careful," muttered the blonde.

El nodded once, then made her way out further into the center of the gym. Vecna met her halfway, the two eyeing each other like prey. "If you touch them again, I will kill you... again."

Cassie's eyebrows raised, a smug halfway grin gracing her lips in pride. Max turned to the blonde, a deadpanned look on her features, "You thought that was hot, didn't you?"

"Absolutely," smiled the blonde, shamelessly.

Max rolled her eyes, "This is so not the time."

Venca let out a low growl at El's words, "Is that what you did? Did you kill me? I am so glad you are here, Eleven. This is going to be beautiful."

Cassie's features dropped almost instantly, Vecna's previous words to her echoing through her head. He was using her to hurt El, and now he had the perfect opportunity to do so because Cassie had insisted on protecting her sister. Cassie pushed Max fully behind her, a dagger in each hand as she glared at the monstrous man ahead.

"So beautiful," repeated Vecna, raising his hands as debris from around the room rose into the air. "And it's all thanks to you."

Vecna threw the wooden shards in El's direction, the girl dodging them easily by sending them to her side. The pieces embedded themselves in the wall from the force. Vecna sent El into the air, and back into the DJ table. The table collapsed from the impact, El letting out a groan of pain.

El was unable to recover from the hit before she is sent back through the air, across the room, and into a table. Vecna threw her around once more before Cassie had enough and rushed forward after giving Max a stern look to stay behind. Cassie threw one of her knifes, the blade embedding itself in Vecna's shoulder and pulling his attention away from El. Cassie threw a dagger that landed in his outstretched hand before he was able to retaliate. Cassie thew one final knife, one of her longer daggers.